Freightliner Columbia door issues

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by subpartrucker, Dec 11, 2010.

1. headache

headache Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2015
    leach,okla
    how do you adjust the door on 97 freightliner condo driver side it was closing fine before i put a new door pocket on it now its hitting where it starts to round at the top by the seat , can it be adjusted at the hinge?????

2. barroll

barroll Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    I had the same problem. Door would pop open going down the road, then wouldn't close until you pulled the outside handle. I replaced the latch, and straightened out the vertical rod going to it. It'd gotten hung up a few times and the rod was bent towards the top below the latch disengagement arm. Might want to buy some new plastic clips that hold the rod in place going into it, since they seem like they're just as likely to rip as they are to come out of their mounting hole.

I didn't have to pull the panel all the way off (just took out the screws facing the back and inside of the truck a few years ago since they didn't have much to hold onto to begin with) and just jammed a block of wood between the panel and door frame, but if anyone wants to pull the panel off to get a better look, here's the trick.

20170808_010020.png 20170808_010044.png

3. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Thanks for posting this Barroll. I can't believe you have to do all this to pull a door panel though. I'm hoping the white lithium grease solves my problem!

4. barroll

barroll Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    It was a real mystery to me the first time I took a crack at it. Thankfully you can get to about 80% of the guts pulling the interior screws, but I've got something scratching up my window, so I may have to do a full tear down soon.

5. smh5260

smh5260 Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2023
    Any idea my door will not open second door on century in past year there is a rod that is off but I do not know where it goes it seems like it’s not releasing off the outside handle inside works I can see it moving but door will not open from either side I’m getting sick of getting out of the passenger side please help thank you Steve

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.