Freightliner columbia ecm problem

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by bruce25, May 19, 2017.

1. bruce25

bruce25 Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Check engine and engine protect came up truck shuts down it will crank but wont start cluster displays 0 volts but the truck has power inside

No eng
    Sid 254 fail 07
    Cdu 219
    Fail 04
    Sid 010 fail 02

I have tried everything checked fuses pdm box battery fuses. Checked cables i am oit of ideas is the ecm dead?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    What motor. What year?

4. bruce25

Apr 16, 2014
    Series 60 12.7 year 2003 i checked harness pins for volts and the big pin close to cab has 4 pins with 12 volts and a 5 large pin cable above it has two pins with 12 volts. So ecm is getting power but dash is not reading anything from it shows 0 volts no eng with alot of faults and also check eng and protect is constantly on once you turn the key. Also dash shows option with EC with lines across seems like there is nothing coming out of ecm. I took the ecm off opened it saw sign of water condensation

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Go behind drivers seat and find rear fuse panel, pull all and clean corr. off all find the water leak and fix all seams above breaker panel with auto body sealer, has the wiring harness from L side of firewall to motor ever been replaced?

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  6. Fast Track Mechanic

Fast Track Mechanic Bobtail Member

May 16, 2017
    Cant find your fault codes on any of these links. see if you have better luck
    Fault Code Web Links

there is an abs fault code for sid 254 fail 07 but that wont stop your truck from starting
    I found this helpful answer from a technician on JustAnswer.com

TRS or SRS sensor can prevent engine starting
    Sounds silly but no fuel will prevent engine from starting. make sure the fuel pickup in the tank isnt broken
    coolant temp, coolant level, oil pressure will shut you down. unplug those sensors and see if it will start.(turns the code into open circuit and therefore a check engine not a stop engine fault code. obviously if it starts switch it straight off incase you do have an oil pressure problem not just faulty wiring or sensor)
    make sure you have pwr and earth to ecm see attached pics ecm pwr and earth 2.png ecm pwr and earth.png

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  7. bruce25

Apr 16, 2014
    You mean panel on the left side of the driver seat? If so i checked it and it looks good. Harness has never been to my knowledge not sure if it was before i purchased it. I did check the harness it looks hood i saw no broken wires pins on the ecm wired to get 12v

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  8. bruce25

Apr 16, 2014

9. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Did you pull all the relays inside the fuse box in the sleeper? it may be on the other side of pass. door but the relays having green on the prongs can do what you are seeing?

10. bruce25

Apr 16, 2014
    I pulled the relays in the fuse box that sits under the dash on the pass side and i didnt see any corrosion. I can recheck again and see if i missed anything. Which relay is for ecm i checked ecm fuse and its good

11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Had that happen to me on a '03. Ended up being the small wire that goes to the batteries was not connected. Had broke and fell behind the batteries.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.