freightliner fld120 1997 tail lights problem

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by earthmover, Oct 10, 2013.

1. earthmover

earthmover Medium Load Member

Jan 27, 2009
    castalia , north carolina
    started today out with tail lights ..worked all day on the way home I had to turn the headlights on and no tail lights but if I turn just the park lights on they work..anybody have any kinda idea of what this may be...if I hit the brake the lights brake lights work ..but when the headlights are on I have nothing in the back..turn them off and the park lights on everything works great..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nhramember

nhramember Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Hey check your headlight switch in the dash . It's a 4 way switch and the power to the park lights probably burned off the switch with the lights on. I have a 97 fld120 and had that same problem.

4. osokusmc

osokusmc Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2011
    SD
    I had a '97 FLD120. While hooked to my trailer, everything was fine. I dropped the trailer at a truck stop to bobtail to a shop for some unrelated work, and when I unhooked the pigtail everything went haywire. I'd hit the left turn and the right signal would come on, etc. I told the shop to figure it out, they replaced both taillights and everything was fine. I run a lot of gravel and when muddy it is pretty hard on wiring. I still can't figure out why they worked while hooked to the trailer and didn't when unhooked, but the wires going into the lights were shot and must have been crossing signals.

5. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Somewhere along the frame rail near the rear axles is a weather pack plug with a flat 4-5 wire harness for your tail lights. I've found many corrosion problems there. Bad grounds can do goofy things.

6. earthmover

Jan 27, 2009
    yea I have to get this fixed ...when I start the truck and turn the lights on all lights work after about 30 min. ride to work I have not tail lights..but if I flip the lights off and turn the park lights on all lights work......its just odd that they work sometimes and don't sometimes....

7. earthmover

Jan 27, 2009
    well guys thanks for the help .. I think I got it fixed today.....got off early and came home and turned the lights on to see if they would go out and they did so I left them on and started to look for the problem... took the plug loose check for voltage nothing went to cab pulled the cover from the relay and breaker compartment and started to test the relays and breakers...all tested pretty good but 1 was so hot (breaker) you couldn't touch it bingo took it out and took it apart its stuck closed all the time getting hot and burn it self up..glad it didn't burn my truck up....pick up a new breaker 8.00 and lights work and breaker stays cool....I know the other day when I started it that something would pop like it was going of and on and said what could that be but then it stopped that's the day I started to have problems ..it took me a while to find the problem and only a few min. to fix, but if I would have had 1 of those power probes I think I could have just went to the problem so I plan to order 1 of those here in the next few days.. you can power things up and test them and all with those things..

8. earthmover

Jan 27, 2009

please tell me how to check this.. problem came right back today..

9. earthmover

Jan 27, 2009
    I checked this..no problem there

10. LPZINC

LPZINC Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Old thread, But in case someone else has the same issue. I was having the same issues with headlamps on and no trailer or dash panel lights. Replaced the panel lamp relay and that fixed everything.

11. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    You have to watch many tail lights the power goes thru the turn signal. You want to check the relays and breakers, first.
    Just a thought.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.