Freightliner gauges!

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by istumped, Jun 26, 2019.

1. istumped

istumped Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Why is this fuel gauge always off. Fuel tank is full. Replaced sending unit,fuel gauge,wire harness going too gauge. 2014 cascadia. I cant stand gauges that dont work. Any help would be great.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    How is this. Idea strike you.

Replace the gauge itself. It wont be the first gauge Ive pulled out of a dash and drop a new one in and followed it's sensor wire back to the proper place on the truck.

In our time we used a number of steward werner gauges and they held up pretty good to the abuses of old iron with spring suspension.

Working2party Thanks this.
  4. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    Take the sending unit back out and adjust the rod that the float is on.

Omega1 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. istumped

istumped Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2015
    To my knowledge the rod is not adjustable. This is after driving 135 miles.

Attached Files:

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Yup, new gauge. My 2013 Star did that. Over the next few weeks it read lower and lower.
    When you turn the key on watch to see if the gauge makes a full sweep up to the full mark. Mine didn’t. As time went on it started out at a lower position and swept to a not so high position. Eventually it gave out.
    If it is reading low for any other reason, the gauge will still make a full sweep when the key is first turned on.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That full sweep is important across the board. If one or two came up short (Literally) replace it or locate the root cause.

8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I adjusted the float on my Classic. I think I bent the rod, honestly can’t remember, been 15 yrs or longer. Anyway, wasn’t hard to figure out.

mitrucker Thanks this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Remember if that’s your fix, it will also Chang the opposite reading. It won’t run as long on E. Don’t run out!!!

10. Truckrazy

Truckrazy Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2019
    Illinois
    Either gauge is broke, wrong sending unit, damaged wires or adjustment screw on back of gauge (if it has such). Pull out the gauge and while tanks full to the brim adjust the screw so the arrow reads full. After that pay attention to getting empty, so you don't end up out of fuel with a quarter gauge read out, and if that's the case, gauge is definitely in need of an upgrade! Good luck!

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  11. Truckrazy

Truckrazy Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2019
    Illinois
    ...or bad connection

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.