Freightliner loosing marker lights with headlights

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by blackcoal, Jan 23, 2016.

1. blackcoal

blackcoal Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Goshen, IN
    On my freightliner Classic I have an issue when I turn the headlights on. I loose the marker lights, clearance lights, and tail lights. Headlights, stop and turn all work still.

When I push the switch down to run the park lights everything works perfectly.

I have tried adding more grounds, so I think that rules out a ground issues, I have unpulled the headlights trailer plug everything. Nothing makes a difference I have no marker lights on when the headlights are on. Any ideas I'm stumped on this one

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Have you allready replaced headlight switch?

4. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    I agree with Baha. Probably the headlight switch.

5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Switch, if you rule out the ground.
    Did you disconnect the headlight from harness. The short could be in the head light or one of the other bulbs.
    Sorry see you did that. How about the fuses.

6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I just had this problem with my FL classic. I know this isn't the "right" way to fix it but it worked for me and got me down the road.

On the back of the headlight switch it will look something like this
    |* |
    | |
    |* |

Get some wire and jump the 2 with the * beside them and your lights should all turn on with headlights on. My interrupt switch doesn't work anymore with this setup. And if you push the switch down for marker lights only, the right low-beam will be on.

I tried a new switch and had the same problem. My mechanic looked at it and couldn't find the problem without spending a lot of hours on it. I will run with it as is. I also had a problem with the high beams not working at all anymore. The back of the relay panel had corroded away and some relays needed replacing. All good to go again now, though.

7. blackcoal

blackcoal Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Goshen, IN
    Turned out to be corrosion in the relay socket for the trailer tail/marker

xsetra Thanks this.
  8. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    #### you road grime!!!

j_martell Thanks this.
  9. joealbergo

joealbergo Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I didn't want to bring up an old post but this is amazingly similar to what is happening with me --

If I cold start the truck and turn on my running lights and begin to drive, after about 10 or 20 minutes (It varies) a few miles of driving over 40 mph - my marker lights begin to blink on and off (Starting in the rear of the box) and I hear the relay clicking then they all shut off.

My problem is more complicated to myself in that my tractor was converted into a box truck and I am not sure where to begin searching for this corrosion - is it something I can find without taking the fuse panel out? How can I test this issue?

I wanted to speak to some of you about this issue on the forum and find other possible points of failure.

I have replaced the marker interrupt switch and running light headlamp switches brand new from Freightliner.

I have also swapped the trailer tail marker relay on the fuse panel inside the cab - Please respond, I'll be most grateful.

10. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Pretty much the same problem with the lights. Most times it is corrosion in the system. Check each light socket first. Then connections. Look real close around the back of lights. Some LAZY techs will test the circuit using the sharp probe thru the insulation to check for power or continuity. This will leave a tiny whole for salt to corrode the wire and it will break. But you can't see it easy. Good luck.

11. davmulli

davmulli Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    West Texas
    Did you ever get an answer ro this problem? We are having same issue.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.