Freightliner power steering problems

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Halfpint504, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Floorboard3719

Floorboard3719 Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2019
    I had the same issue but when the fluid would get hot after pulling a hill it would lock up. Turned out to be the gearbox and every tech that looked at it said I was crazy and nothing was wrong.that was in my 16 cascadia with 300k miles

2. jermaine101

jermaine101 Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2019
    you should check the kinpins jack the unit up with both wheel off the ground and try turning the wheel if its hard check your king pins i just did 4 freight liner this week

3. jermaine101

jermaine101 Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2019
    you
    should check your kingpins jack the unit up both wheels off the ground and see if you can turn the steering wheel freely if not the check your kingpins i changed 4 trucks with kin pins problems from not being grease

4. Keepforgettingmypassword

Keepforgettingmypassword Heavy Load Member

Jan 11, 2022
    How do you check the slip joint. This is just starting and I want to nip it in the bud.

5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I don’t know. You can check it for slop, make sure it’s greased. The shaft connected to the gear box has a nylon type ( usually blue) coating. I guess it would have to be worn, or just have a loose fit. Mines a bit sloppy when I wiggle the slip joint. Still works fine though. The joint needs to be greased till it comes out onto the shaft. What’s the symptom? How’s the filter? Maybe need a new filter?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.