Freightliner shaking, vibrating at 60-65mph

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by WildBill76, Jun 23, 2014.

1. WildBill76

WildBill76 Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2014
    we have the truck up on jack stands, get up to 60-65 mph, and the truck shackes bad, changed the power divider,checked the rears any idea's as to what it could be

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Uh, why are you doing this? Do you have the jackstands under the frame or the axles? If the axles are hanging, that's my guess.

Did the truck shake at speed on the road?

U-joints maybe?

And lastly, it's a Freightliner, they all do that? ;)

4. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    Damaged driveline/out of balance, u-joints, motor/trans mount, wheels/tires out of balance/slipped belt?

5. WildBill76

WildBill76 Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2014
    thank you for your help

6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi WildBill, so many things it could be. If a U-joint is that bad, you'd probably hear clunking, but I'd check that 1st. Other things could be: wheel bearings, out of round or unbalanced brake drums, tires with broken belts, worn splines on axle shafts, or possibly transmission bearings. 65 mph on jack stands? You're a braver person than I am.:biggrin_2554:

Bains Thanks this.
  7. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    they're called Freightshakers for a reason :yes2557:

8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Could be a bent or unbalanced drive shaft. Check to see if the weights are still on the shaft. I knew a guy that worked at a truck repair shop, and a guy came in saying he had a awful drive line vibration. My friend looked under the truck, and the drive shaft looked like a cork screw. How it would even move like that they couldn't figure it out.:biggrin_2554:

Mooose Thanks this.
  9. papanuge

papanuge Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Anderson, AL 35610
    Carrier bearing is another thing to look at.

10. Mooose

Mooose Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Sherwood Park,AB
    I would start with looking at tires/rims, separating belt in one of the tires, when it was road driven last was it shaking bad on the steering wheel also or just the whole truck? Try and pin point front or back or as was earlier suggested a bad U joint or drive shaft. Not sure your going to figure it out on jack stands. Any work on the drive line recently? How many miles on the truck? How many miles on the current rubber? Wheel seals leaking? Does the truck wander/track ok?

antman32 Thanks this.
  11. SpyderRyder

SpyderRyder Medium Load Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Rice, Texas
    Bad idea running it like that on jack stands. This throws the drive train out of correct alignment (driveline to axel angle) and quite possibly causing the shake. If you are experiencing problems while running down the road under load or empty, you need to be specific and detailed as to what is happening under what conditions. If you have a vibration, at what speed, what kind of load, what are the road conditions, is it while accelerating, coasting, decelerating and where do you feel the vibration, in the steering wheel, in your seat. Being able to isolate the condition will give you a good idea as to where to start in troubleshooting the problem. Good luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.