Freightliner shaking, vibrating at 60-65mph

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by WildBill76, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Busasamurai

Busasamurai Light Load Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Augusta ga
    trailer or bobtail or both???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kenworthcanuck

kenworthcanuck Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2010
    I'd say check the wheel bearings and the steering shaft. I was having same problem around 100km/h not sure in miles?

4. Highrollers

Highrollers Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2018
    Freightliner shouldnt shake thst much. Have you steer tires balanced when they spinning check see it out of round. Anothet problem i had was trailer shocks and tires causing cab to shake. But when i figured it out my freighliner dodnt shake at ALL. Its not normal and if you let it continue something else breaks then something else...

5. RoadRanger^^

RoadRanger^^ Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Columbus, OH
    Please help. Volvo 2011 i have some vibration coming and go around 65. I can drive 20 miles and then will stop and then come back again. Check driveline u joint no movement, new front springs, new tires all over, new brakes drums. If im driving 65 and put it in neutral the vibrations stays until the truck slow down a lil. I’m very very broke right now and don’t have extra money to theow replacing parta that are in working condition. I also have some leak at the auxiliary transmision where is bolted to the other tranny not at the u joint or the yoke. Tranny problem maybe but i also dont hear any noise whining shifts nice. IDK. Help!!!
    Thank you!

6. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    So much can cause a vehicle to shake. Ujoints, bearings, loose rim, unbalanced tires, worn tie rods, damaged differentials, bent frame ruining alignment. Honestly check the cheap stuff first then work your way up. Also helps to have someone in the sleeper while your driving around see where the shaking feels stronger at.

7. RoadRanger^^

Apr 17, 2018
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks for the quick response. It was vibrating while i was driving now and stop on the rest area and i start driving for another 2 miles to my delivery no vibration. My leveling valve might be bad, but i change it maybe 7-8 months ago

8. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Sounds like rear tires. If a vibration comes and goes it's usually because the wheels/tires that are out of balance/round are out of time with each other in a certain position but then you get off the highway and make a tight turn or two and one side turns more than the other and it puts those unbalanced wheels into a more favorable position with the other tires on the truck and it smooths out until you go around a corner again and they are back to fighting each other.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. RoadRanger^^

Apr 17, 2018
    Columbus, OH
    The tires are new, but like you said maybe wheels are out of round. I had friend he said he bought some lug nuts that center the wheel ? How efficient are those ? Thank you!

10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Some swear by them. Hub piloted wheel should be centered good, but not if it’s a loose fit for some reason. Aluminums will warp, and wobble. Sometimes if only a year old, from heat. You can spin the tire/ wheel, holding any object against the side, or tread, to check for wobble, or out of round. If found out of round, take tire off, check rim, to figure out if it’s a tire or rim problem. Other culprits are motor mounts, and improper ride height

RoadRanger^^ Thanks this.
  11. Bains

Bains Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2018
    Hey bud, I need your help . Mine shakes while doing 50-60(whole truck shakes) and makes grrr sound on up-hills . Drive line , U-joints , Centre bearing got checked they are all in good shape . Tires are almost new . The only repair I had got the mid drive axle oil changed .
    When its does 65 mph shake and viberation goes away .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.