Freightliner vs. Kenworth

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by pippinna, Sep 28, 2011.

1. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Freightliners are garbage throw away junk.Kenworth/peterbilt are quality enough said.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. traderpats

traderpats Light Load Member

May 24, 2013
    Oregon
    Seriously? Someone better go tell Lone Mountain. Those stupids are selling the "Freightshakers" for MORE than the KW's. Don't know how they'll be able to stay in business selling those quality trucks so cheap....

Guess it depends on the year. As for the newer models and the DD15 engine, my 2015 Cascadia has well over 300k on it and is as quiet as the day I got it. Zero breakdowns too. I know drivers that swear by, or curse, whatever make of truck. All depends on their experience.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    Reason for edit: Addition
    JReding Thanks this.
  4. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Freightshakers have generally been good to me. That being said, today I start a new gig in a KW T680, so we'll see how it goes.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Freightliner is a bit light versus a pete. Ive run em all. But KW has the build but weak wheels. Tough choices. I would choose a pete if I don't have to buy another truck ever again. But it will have to be built a certain way.

Most of my time was with freightliner, but ended my years in a modern KW in late 2001 which I thought was pretty #### good actually for what we put it through.

6. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I take it you haven't driven a newer kenworth. Sure, they may come with a high quality price tag, but nothing about them says quality.

Rusty Trawler Thanks this.
  7. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Kenworth nothing newer then 2000s peterbilts yes 2010 389,2014 389,2015 386 glider all better then a freightliner

8. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Geez, Chevy or BMW....let me think......KW all the way..

9. Salad

Salad Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2015
    If they are company specced, they're all about the same. I've driven:

Prostar
    Cascadia
    t680
    t660
    Pete 579

The pete had the smoothest ride I think. The Cascadia had the most room inside, and was the easiest for me to fall asleep in. The Prostar was GREAT with tight docks. I had Three 680s, had electrical issues with all 3. The newest one I've had less issues, and nothing to take me to the shop other than a Missing Battery cover (common issue with 680s with the plastic side parts).

If I got to choose, I'd take a Cascadia with an automatic or a 13 speed manual transmission. I like the auto better though, the floor space opened up without a shifter is great for pushups, situps, and I can put my excercise bike down and ride without fear of getting hit in the parking lot.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Everyone picks on the Freight shaker. I would be remiss if I did not put in a good word for them. The one in my avatar was a FLD 120, 1995 model year, 500 detriot, aluminum wheels 300 plus gallon fuel tanks full condo sleeper etc etc etc 22.5 tires etc. As a single I would put 15,000 miles on that truck each month. That's a oil change and paper logs for you. The primary weaknesses were three. First front end alingment historically went out once every 20 months or so, alternators are replaced each year maybe two or three and constant battles to get the cooling settled down on that big detroit. I have had a feeling it was abused at some point in the early years before I had a hold of it. Governed at 73ish which made it a money maker and a time maker.

It was a good truck for a horrible driver like me. But the 2001 Century with the rockwell Automatic and 500 Detriot became something to remember when we put 25K - 30K miles on that thing each month. That is two oil changes believe it or not... I tell you what. After 220K that truck was ready for a replacement, only we did not stay with FFE long enough to claim it. Ultimately no issues with FFE, just in those days you wrote down everything you did and followed up with DM to claim your overlooked pay. Its just too much money to leave on the table with 0.00 paychecks in them days waiting on loads to clear paper work. (Brokers probably.,..)

And the cabovers. Ugh. But hey when you are 21, you are hard with no obesity to inflict abuse on yourself bouncing around in those things standing on the big cam 4 waiting for the tall gears to complete a shift.

11. Riffman

Riffman Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Phoenix, az
    Agreed. Honestly, anyone who says different has probably never driven both, or either.

RERM, poppapump1332 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.