Freightliner wont start

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Trucker327, Aug 12, 2019.

1. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    The clutch switch won't affect the radio. What else stays off when this happens?

Trucker327, Opendeckin and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I'd turn the master switch off so you don't fry the ecm or something, then take the cover off the battery box, and check all the connections between the batteries. Especially the negative ones.

Then check it to the starter. It all terminates on one big bolt on the starter.

4. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    HIT IT WITH A HAMA

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. Trucker327

Trucker327 Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Just the radio...luckily it was just burnt out...so I replaced it..

6. Trucker327

Trucker327 Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2017
    I had actually done that...and I'm glad i did...they needed a cleaning..

7. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    There is a bunch of mega fuses under the drivers door on the frame rail, the assembly can crack and cause problems.

8. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Dash and everything goes out right?

Sounds like you are loosing mains power into the whole distribution system. You didnt need to buy a radio. You needed to buy a voltmeter. First verify voltage across the battery posts. Say its 12.3vdc. Now go down the chain and see where it takes its first substantial drop. 12.1, 11.9. Good wires, terminals, connections and relays shouldnt drop much voltage. It could be in the ground circuit or in the positive circuit. Theyre both equally critical, its a loop.

If you put it on beep mode you can check continuity however dont put bunches of faith in this, as it is not a true load test. The meter can show continuity but still be a huge voltage drop there.

Get a meter and youtube how to use it then work upstream throughout your power distribution. What you describe is the worst gremlin. Intermittent fault diagnosis.

Trucker327 Thanks this.
  9. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Also check the voltage between your negative lug and any metal in the chassis is pretty much zero. If youve got a 2volt chassis potential theres a big issue. The ecm is wanting to say a difference of potential across the positive and negative of 12+ volts so raising ground to 2v means the ecm sees 10 and flips you the bird.

Look for zero ohms or close to it between frame and ground points. Beep mode should beep when you scratch in. Your negative battery terminal and all your iron should basically be at the same reference voltage of zero, with full continuity. If not, chomp jumper cables from negstive post onto raw metal to create an expedient ground and check again. Ground is a very big deal.

Report back with findings and well go from there.

Trucker327 Thanks this.
  10. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    All trucks have a relay that closes a master relay that energizes the truck. I don’t know where it is on a Freightliner but should be around The key area.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Trucker327 Thanks this.
  11. Freddy57

Freddy57 Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Mount Vernon, MO
    Mine is located in a small fuse box on the left side under the hood.

Trucker327 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.