Frieght liner classic, question

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by feldsforever, Jun 2, 2020.

1. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    Good after evening folks. Ive been really interested in the classic for a couple years now. Am2d it seems the prices are lowering them selves almost within reach.

Mainly interested in the 05 to 09's. Don't know why. Looks most likely. They look like heavy haul trucks. Do they get decent enough mileage to run box, or learn to run flat bed? Or would it only be worth it to haul heavy?
    What else can you driver tell me about them. What ever truck I get. I want to learn as much as I can on it. I'm only 40. So I got time to learn..

Brettj3876 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Daycabinit

Daycabinit Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I drove a classic when I first got my license the main thing I remember is it took a field to turn the thing. Not very maneuverable. It was an older model tho

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  4. feldsforever

Nov 22, 2019
    I just found a web site. Baskin truck sales. A bounch of high mileage. But really low prices trucks. I think I will start with a cheap truck and if I'm still doing good in a year. I will get closer to the truck I want.
    On the site there where some cascadias and some isx volvos. Any does or donts prying to calling them? Anything I should really pay attention to during pre purchase inspection. I'd be happy with a diamond in the rough.
    There's a 05 Volvo with 973,??? Miles. 10k$ that's got my interest. My budget is 19k. And i live in new england

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. feldsforever

Nov 22, 2019
    Just read the reviews of that place. Its not really what I'm looking for.

Bean Jr. and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    "Good" and "cheap" don't generally go hand in hand.

I have no interest in buying trucks but still browse the classifieds for parts, equipment and what not. Don't really see anything worth putting money into until about the $30k Canadian Peso mark. Even then they still need a fair amount of work.

7. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    The FLC and later Classic was the last of the true Freightliners. Still old school enough to be a real truck. They have been speced to do everykind of truck work there is. The only Freightliner conventional to own in my opinion.

8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The Clasiics are an Fld, basically with a square hood. They’re cheap, price wise, compared to KW and Pete’s. Parts are also cheap in comparison,in most cases, readily available. Easier to work on also. They’re built pretty solid, and simple. The down side is the interiors, Cheap plastic, dashboards, doors, are especially flimsy. But the Trucks platform and Cab, and suspensions are built well, simple and pretty durable. Fuel mileage is lower, at least .5 mpg than an aero Truck. I’d suggest looking at the Coronado, since you’re looking for an 05 or newer Truck. It seems to have quite a few upgrades, compared to the “old” design of the Classics. Though parts may be higher. Classic has the worst turning radius of any Truck. I need 8 lanes to do a U turn, without jacking it around, and can be a PITA to back in, vent windows block mirrors, causing a glare, rolling down the window doesn’t help. They don’t “ follow” the Trailer well. But they ride good, better than most Pete’s I’ve driven.

9. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    The turning radius can most likely be adjusted. Lots of folks don’t know that. It’s an easy trick that is not mentioned in any shop manual snd you’d be surprised at how many alignment shops have no clue.

10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    You can turn the stops in yourself. It’s easy. But still doesn’t turn well.

tommymonza and Daycabinit Thank this.
  11. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I had a 2001 with condo roof, 565 Cummins ISX. It got 5.88 mpg.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.