From Company driver to L/P

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Cybercat, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Cybercat

Cybercat Medium Load Member

Oct 17, 2014
    East Tn
    So that is the old history. Now newer history.

Hubby was very specific in what he was looking for as far as a company to move to. Smaller than OD. But been around for awhile and family owned. Of course this can cover many companies but it had to pass my background searching. That makes it hard to find one that I would OK. Remember I ran my own business for 12 years and have been on the net since 1986. That covers alot of experience with finding out the nitty gritty truth.

So I have been researching off and on companies that hubby mentioned. Most, not all, just most, did not pass inspection by me. When I mentioned faults hubby agreed with me. Now at the time
    l/p was not much of a thought. It was all just changing company and trying to find a matching salary. You have no idea how hard that is trying to come close to OD pay scale. They are right there with union pay without being union. Yes, I agree most drivers are getting ripped off by companies they are driving for. But that is a rant that does not go here.

Well, the past two years hubby has been thinking of being an o/o. Since money is there and freedom too. But since we have the farm and now family here money went bye bye. So that dream went to back burner till now. Remember I mentioned we wanted to expand the farm but it fell through. So do to me reading forum once again l/p started to look like a possible option.

I come and read forum for a bit then leave for a few months. Way too many interests. Way to many forums on them to read. Also at one point around last fall I was planning on getting my cdl so was studying for that also. But that fell threw due to a speeding ticket in a hide school zone in another county that is a PITA to speeders. I had a lawyer but too late.

But I digress. So while catching up on this forum I started reading this section. It was curiosity mostly but something else also. As fate would have it, I came across some very interesting and informative threads. Of course had to read threw some major BS too. Just got to love trolls. Find it interesting we have yet to hear from any. Smart of them.

Anyway it lead me to some real good possibilities of companies that I didn't know of since they are small and not local. Local would have been nice but it was not a criteria. Hours and miles were plus some of the other things I have mentioned.

But it's late and I need sleep. Do to me getting in and out of hubby's truck I have a very sore right leg. Long way down and up on getting in and out. Those muscles have not been used and got stretched too much. So I am resting at home taking care of a few things till hubby swings by to pick me up again from his southern stops. More later nite all.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. popcorn169

popcorn169 Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    Once you start talking about being a successful lease operator the trolls will start coming out of the wood works telling you that it is not true and that you have to have your own authority.

What is the website address for Equity anyhow?

truadvocate and Jonkie Thank this.
  4. Cybercat

Oct 17, 2014
    East Tn
    They have two that I know of now. Just do a search for drive for equity or equity transportation. Either way works for both sites that I found.

Tonight I am back in truck. We are headed back to Mi. Good heavy load putting truck to a real test. Hubby getting a real feel for the difference between OD and all other trucking companies.

popcorn169 and Wickedfire77 Thank this.
  5. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Glad your husband has a backbone and stands up for himself.Most drivers nowadays are sheep and just take the bs.Good luck to him.

6. Jrdude5

Jrdude5 Heavy Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    New York, NY
    Good luck keep em coming.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    Reason for edit: Wrong wording
  7. Wickedfire77

Wickedfire77 Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    I hope you meant " 'em coming"
    If so I agree, this should be a good read

8. Jrdude5

Jrdude5 Heavy Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    New York, NY
    Yes sorry spell check corrected thanks.

Wickedfire77 Thanks this.
  9. Cybercat

Oct 17, 2014
    East Tn
    Well, it has been a learning experience this week. Loads got switched alot do to him not getting unwritten messages. Which meant him sitting alot in truck stops waiting on time to drive. We figured he is getting miles just messed up since travel home first.

Big difference is with OD your rushing from terminal to terminal to get there on time. He did alot of priority loads because he drives. Now that is what is messing him up. He has to learn to slow down or we will always be like today in truckstop 17 hours. With OD that was never an issue for they has rush loads that had to be there next day.

10. Cybercat

Oct 17, 2014
    East Tn
    OK now something else way different is the truck. He went from Cascadia single axle and new to Classic XL double axle and 05 but with new refurbished engine with no miles on it.

They call it a glider. Hood is newer than original 05 it's not as square. We are sitting next to the Pete that it is made to copy. You can really see the difference in the styles. Truck next to us is Smith Transport. Interesting they designed their own APU for their trucks. Not a bad idea since that saves fuel.

On that note I am surprised as I look around the parking lot that I don't see more fuel saving things on trucks. One being under skirt. I know they work but I guess most companies just don't want to spend money to save money in long run. Guess o/o just don't care when making over 3 dollars a mile.

11. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    Fitzgerald Glider Kit. Remanufactured pre emissions motor in a new chassis and body.

Stay out of California with it. Not legal there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.