From Schneider to Superior

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by 19d, Mar 9, 2018.

1. 19d

19d Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Sanford NC
    So I had a thread while working for Schneider pulling tanks. Now that I’ve switched over to Superior back in December 2017 I figured I would start a new one. Basically to talk about the differences and how things have went and continue to go working here. So far I can say without a doubt this was a good decision/move on my part to start working for Superior Carriers. I have no complaints at all working here and that is hard to believe even for myself. The major differences I’ve noticed is the better pay. While I made good at schneider and enjoyed working there and thankful to them for teaching me about tanks. Here at Superior the money is just a lot better. Layover pay starts after 14 hrs here at 16.10 hr vs Schneider’s 65 bucks if I sit for a complete 24hrs. Also the detention pay is 16.10 hour vs 10 hr at schneider. Also I now get 10 dollars per nite I stay in the sleeper and also get to not take the 10 dollars per nite if I opt to stay in the hotels the company has accounts with. Which is where I’m at right now doing a reset. So for this reset I’m relaxing in a hotel watching tv for 34 hours or so, two nights and still getting paid 161 dollars or so while doing this. Back when I worked at schneider I use to beg to get put into a hotel and not working once would they pay for me a hotel and would like to pay me 65 dollars for doing the 34 hr reset while living in my truck. Also my best week was only in the 1800’s at schneider only like country or times. Seemed my top pay for week would be usually around 1500-1600 if I ran all week with no layover pay. Here at Superior If I work a solid week, being out 7 days I only need 5 of those days to actually be run hard and can layover the other two if need be and still make above 1800 everytime. Like last week my pay was 1950 dollars for the week and it’s missing 24 hours of layover (161.00) dollars. I would never see this while at schneider or even close. In my few months at Superior so far anytime I’ve worked a full work week, meaning 7 days Monday-Sunday, my pay has not been less than 1800 yet. And I never ran all 7 days, always had atleast a day of layover due to waiting to deliver etc. which I don’t mind a day to relax every now and then since here they still pay me very well to relax and watch Netflix. Now on another note, money sounds great an all but keep in mind the more you make the more they take. So for a 1900 dollar week seems the Govt takes a lot in taxes, basically two of those work days were just to pay the taxes. Do never get hung up on money always, here at Superior I’m able to get home a lot more and live lot closer to my terminal then what I did with Schneider. I like to get parked at terminal on a Thursday around lunch time and take off till Monday morning. So far everytime I’ve d Me this I still grossed over 1200 for the week somehow and had 3.5 days off. Not sure how that has worked everytime but it has. Probably because I turn in my detention times when I come home to home terminal and that gets added in on that short week. Either way it works out great in my mind. So 3 months in at new company and I’m very satisfied here and feel it was a very good move. I will update later or answer any questions if anybody has any about here.

RajinCajin, Need4Speed, Gin86 and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 19d

19d Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Sanford NC
    So the in the big picture, the man bet is better but the government eats us up anytime we make over 1500 a week in taxes anyway. So target weekly pay if could just hit it every week would be 1499.00, they really hit me when above 1900, really it’s not even worth working that last day. It puts me in a higher tax bracket or something, not sure but Govt takes it all back. The free hotel stays and the layover pay after 14hrs, the higher detention pay and the immediate start of break down pay anytime something happens and truck not moving is the key things. Take this for example couple weeks ago I had to pull over to do do a regen on the truck. I wrote down on my paper, 1 hour breakdown due to regen and the company actually payed me the 16.10 for that hour I stopped to key engine regen. That is how they are here. Aslong as you are honest and only turn in real stuff and don’t abuse the system they pay you for it. If I get delayed due to traffic accident or weather I just turn it in and they pay for it. I don’t turn in every little slow down or nothing but if I can’t move for over 30mins or must stop to wait, I write it down and they pay me. I make sure not to abuse it and actually claim less time then what actually accures. Say if I’m held up for 1 hr 15 mins I just turn in 1 hour. The company pays so well and treats me so goof I’m not gonna try to nickel and dime them to death. Before with schneider I was always in a hurry and going going going, here I never get in a hurry or anything, if there is a wreck or sone thing oh well, I just start my traffic delay time and get some hourly pay. At my last company this was never the case. If I wasn’t getting miles I wasn’t getting any pay. I’m so much ch more relaxed now and enjoy driving a truck a lot more I’ve noticed.

Need4Speed Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You mentioned traffic delays; I forgot about that. Many tanker companies pay for sitting in traffic and I've been paid for that many times. That's one of the many reasons the pay is so good at the end of the year; all those little things add up over a 12 month period. Get paid for a regen, fueling, pre-trip, post-trip, and on and on.

5. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    meechyaboy Thanks this.
  6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Schneider sucks.......

They advertise $98K what’s the real pay...?

Home multiple times a week....:)

7. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    @19d are you doing the 401k? untaxed off the gross.At the same time you Can also do a Roth IRA.
    you'll Retire a millionaire at a younger age

Adrienna Brown Thanks this.
  8. 19d

19d Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Sanford NC
    Na I don’t do either, I plan on retiring in 5 yrs off my retirement military pay I currently get now. I want be a millionaire but 54k tax free year as it sits now I should be ok, if not I’m trying to live outside of what I need to be.

9. 19d

19d Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Sanford NC
    Yea that add is completely false, they don’t even pay their drivers any holiday pay, how in the hell is a driver gonna make 98k year with a company that doesn’t even pay holiday pay lol. I did year an half there. Most you might do is 70k and you will not ever go home that year

10. 19d

19d Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Sanford NC
    5 days off month average for year and Gross 60k give or take 4K.. is more the truth. At schneider

11. 19d

19d Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Sanford NC
    It’s not bad but far from what they advertise

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.