From Septic to propane.

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Roadgeek395, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Roadgeek395

Roadgeek395 Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2017
    For the last year-and-a-half I've been working for a septic company. Not a glamorous job by any means but one really good thing I got out of it with was getting tanker experience.

I recently accepted a position at a propane company as a delivery driver and I am scheduled to start in a couple weeks. It's a small company but offers a full benefit and retirement package so it seems like a good opportunity.

Am I making the right decision? Is the propane industry a good industry to get into?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shanbone

shanbone Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2011
    mobile, al
    Propane is seasonal. Often the companies will have delivery drivers setting tanks and running gas lines to new construction homes as well as painting tanks to keep you busy in the summer time. If they don't guarantee 40 hrs/week even thru the summer I wouldn't consider it myself.

Cee El in Ess Cee Thanks this.
  4. Roadgeek395

Jan 24, 2017
    Septic is seasonal too, I experienced it last winter and I don't want to go through it again.

Although propane can be seasonal this company offered me full-time year-round employment with plenty of stuff in the summertime to keep me busy.

Since I already have tanker experience I don't think the switch from septic to propane will be too difficult.

5. shanbone

Nov 18, 2011
    mobile, al
    I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy propane more. Good luck on the new job.

Roadgeek395 Thanks this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I hear wasp and hornet spray is something that's good for a propane hauler to keep handy. Is this because the gas attracts them, or the shelter under the lid?

7. Roadgeek395

Jan 24, 2017
    I hear it's common for wasps to take shelter under the lid. Summer time must be rough. I'll have to get quick with the wasp can. I'll be like Clint Eastwood in an old western movie, but with a wasp can instead of a six shooter haha.

8. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Septic is constant, hopefully employer can keep you busy year round on propane.

9. shanbone

Nov 18, 2011
    mobile, al
    Just hose them with the propane. It works great as a dog repellant too.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.