From the Office to Trucking

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by zmster2033, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Be my guest. More power to you. I wouldn’t touch them. As you can see, look at what they did to the OP !!!! Now he has to fork out more money to get reinsured and hopefully through the process of 6 to 8 weeks, that he gets any credit coming back to him. I wouldn’t hold my breath. For the rest of you that think your getting a better rate, you best look at your policy and see that the underwriters ain’t OFFSHORE insurance. I’m referring to all the newbies. Best of luck to ya.

nax and Siinman Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    To the OP, any updates ?

4. zmster2033

zmster2033 Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Regarding insurance, my broker is currently working with Lloyd's to determine what is going on. She contacted me today saying she thinks everything is now worked out. I am trying to see if there is an option to potentially shift this coverage to another provider as well.

On the business front, I took off to go to the beach with a group of buddies I grew up with Wednesday through Sunday of last week. During this time, I dropped the trailer off to have the doors and cross-members fixed, and brought the truck back in the shop to look everything over after hauling a few loads. We ended up replacing the clutch (learning curve with driving the truck) and it is now driving very nice! Additionally, we also changed the cab air bags as they had a pretty big leak with one of the bags being completely shredded. An air leak that was in one of the hoses on the drivers seat was also fixed. I am working on resolving an issue I am having with my elog (Keep Truckin') currently. The drive time does not automatically record. Keep Truckin' called me today and asked if the shop could hook up to the OBD/diagnostic port to determine if data was being transferred. After trying this, data was not transferring. There is power at the OBD port, but no data transfer. Has anyone encountered this? Any suggestions on what may be the cause? My dad and I are thinking it could be a broken wire somewhere.

With all of the maintenance items, I didn't get the truck and trailer back until yesterday (Monday) evening. It was too late to look for anything as the boards seemed pretty barren. The cab air bags actually got replaced this morning, so I finally was able to start looking for something around 3:30PM ET. The load availability in my area seemed extremely light compared to the first week I was on the road. Rates seemed to have fallen off a bit. I had an opportunity to take a Cornelius, NC to Duffield, VA for $800 which I opted not to take as they were firm on this rate, and I was hoping for at least $900. Long story short, I am back at the house and will be hitting the boards early tomorrow to get something to generate some additional revenue. More to come!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    hollywood76 and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  5. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Good luck OP. I thought you had already done this a long time ago. Oh well, there I go thinking again.

Depends on how much time versus money matters.

If you had a scan gauge you'd have something to test the data stream with. You can get the generic ones at RV stores, or get the Kevin Rutherford version. The KR one is a little more expensive, but has the instant mpg smoothed out more if that's important to you. Also some other cost per mile crap I won't waste the time setting up, but some do. Not starting a debate here on the merits of anything KR, but I like this particular product and think it's worth buying. You can also find them used here and there, again a question of how much time you want to wait looking for a deal.

Back to the original problem. If I wanted to spend more time than money, I'd start by checking the physical condition of the dashboard connector to start with. Get it out of the dash and check everything on the back of the connector. Looking for loose/broken wires. Follow the harness and look for obvious old repairs - non-factory lumps of black tape, crimp splices, etc. Find any, take them apart, clean them up, and do a correct repair using the right tools and terminals. If you have room to do it, solder and heat shrink tubing.

Kenworths with plastic hoods are also notorious for windshield leaks degrading things around the fuse panel. Look for loose/worn out spade terminal sockets that don't make a good connection. If you can't get at them for a correct replacement, you can buy some time by bending the tab on the fuse or relay into a slight "U" shape (looking at it from the end) to make it "fatter" to engage the worn terminal better.

Edit to add: on cleaning up previous repairs, it might be worthwhile to visit a KW dealer with your vin and get the ecm wiring diagrams. You never know when someone did a hack job repair and introduced a problem. Sometimes you can spot mismatched wire colors and whatnot, sometimes they can be mismatched from the factory. In other words, get what you need to make sure you're putting it together right, not just the way it was before.

At the ecm end look for the same sort of things on the ecm connections. Take them off, clean/inspect, reinstall. If appropriate, use dielectric grease to keep moisture out. In fact, go to an auto parts store and buy 3-4 tubes of it. Keep one on the big truck, one in your POV, one at home, maybe more elsewhere. You'll need it all the time and if you buy just one tube, it will never be where you need it at the moment.

Or, if you have money left and in a hurry or don't feel like getting dirty, find an independent shop that knows what they're doing. You can get to a good one by referral, and it will most likely not be a KW or Cummins dealer. Be prepared as wiring jobs pay by the clock. So a better value is paying a higher rate to someone that knows what they're doing versus a lower rate for someone to learn how to do the job at your expense.

It would be helpful if you put a location in your profile in case anyone has a referral. You're in central NC if I recall. If so, there's an inactive member in that area who could point you to a good shop for electrical/ecm work. Alternately, I trust the shop I use and would refer them, but they're probably not as convenient location-wise. Send me a PM if your interested in details.

fordconvert and zmster2033 Thank this.
  6. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Glad you were able to get the insurance worked out. That sounded kind of odd them cancelling coverage right after writing the policy unless you changed something after the policy was issued like going to Hazmat or something similar.

zmster2033 Thanks this.
  7. zmster2033

Apr 28, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I think I have figured out the elog issue. One of the wires was in the wrong hole on the OBD/diagnostic port. I spliced it into the wire that was in the correct hole and it appears the ELD is now working properly.

I am hitting the load boards now but am not finding much that is worthwhile. I am nervous I may need to sacrifice my rate a little bit to get something.

RedForeman Thanks this.
  8. zmster2033

Apr 28, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Welp, ended up at the house again tonight. Nothing worthwhile came up. Everyone was offering $350-$500 on <150 miles where I was quoting a day rate of at least $800. I almost even bit the bullet and took a 100 mile round trip (35 loaded mile) run for $500 to generate something today. Broker ended up saying they only worked with carriers that had 6 months behind them. I wasn't too distraught that the load did not work out. We will try again tomorrow.

9. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I admire your patience. I also appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I just got on the road too. I have thought about laying out my journey from more of a time and cost point of view to let perspective O/O's in on all the red tape you have to cut through to get on the road. It has cost me a few thousand and untold hours on the phone and working out all of the FMCSA/DOT stuff and insurance stuff and I'm still making calls while I drive after being on the road about 3 weeks. I leased a trailer and bought a 2015 Volvo tractor. I know some here would disagree but it has been phenomenal so far. It's all about the research IMO. I'm not afraid of emissions trucks. My previous company truck, a 2015 Cascadia, was hardly ever down. They all require maintenance. The Volvo is getting better than 8 mpg and has an APU to boot.

Coming from about the same place as you (25 years in shipping for me, plus almost a year of leased O/O Expedite in a van just before I bought my tractor) I would recommend this: Get in with some 3PL's that can keep you moving! I've been scheduled out for a week ahead since the day I hit the road (also lucky with my first load on a Saturday). I had the same problem getting set up with brokers but once I did they hit me hard. I keep my truck posted 3 places but have hardly needed to. CHRobinson (Navisphere Carrier), TQL and DAT. DAT is the only load board subscription I bought and I only used it to get my first load.

It sounds like you are more patient than me and I can understand that since you are new to driving a truck. I drove TT for 10 years as a company driver (25 with that company) so the learning curve for me was just with the brokers, negotiations and the #### guvment (DOT/FMCSA).

Keep us posted on your journey, and congratulations. I love the freedom. I feel freer than I ever have in any job and I'm making in a week what I formerly made in a month.

10. zmster2033

Apr 28, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Ended up running a couple loads last week. Got a Mooresville, NC to Aiken, SC for $800 that pick and ran to deliver the same day (Thursday). Friday started out a bit slow, but was able to negotiate a Aiken, SC to Ronda, NC run for $1,000 that also pick and delivered same day (Friday), and made it home for the weekend. The dock at the delivery location in Ronda was also the tightest dock to date. It required a blindside back while being cautious of a cliff in front of the tractor. Thankfully the employee that runs the yard came out and greeted me, and assisted me with this. I did the setup and he confirmed that was the best approach to this. He also assured me that experience hands have terrible troubles with this as well.

I was hoping to get something locked down for today, but didn't come across anything too worthwhile again today. I looked for something this morning and tried to hit it hard around 3:00pm in hopes of finding someone desperately needing a truck. Unfortunately, that did not pan out.

I am having conflicting feelings as I feel I have been sitting frequently and am wondering if I am being to stringent on my rate. Even if the broker tells me loads will pick and deliver same day (even <100 mile runs) where the delivery appointment is 3 hours after the pickup, I am quoting a day rate of $800. Is this too much, or is this in line with what the experienced hands do as well? I don't want to sell myself short, but at the same time feel I need to be generating revenue to help pay off some of the overhead/startup debt incurred to better set myself and family up for the future.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  11. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    If you can get two runs in a day for your day rate then I would lower the quotes. If not why sell yourself short?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.