Front crank seal and possibly back.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by feldsforever, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Front crank seal isn’t a big deal. Pulleys and damper need to come off. Might want to get a new damper. They’re around $400-$500. Vibratech brand is sold everywhere. Rear main, best to do the clutch. If later you need a trans, clutch can stay. Labor to swap a trans shouldn’t be more than $1000. New clutch, good Eaton easy pedal and rear main is around $1500-$1600 with a clutch install kit. More if you need a new flywheel. They’re $2000 from Dealership for original DD. Aftermarkets are perfectly fine, $500-$600. From shops. $300-$500 on Amazon of all places. Worst case scenario $2000 parts. Labor?? $1400 max sounds reasonable to me. Not surprised to hear $4000. That’s probably estimated with turning flywheel, or swapping it for a turned one. Usually what they do.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Rebuild the whole transmission and labor to remove and reinstall to the vehicle.

4. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Ten hours for R&R, plus parts? Yeah, you're getting bent over.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Depending on the car you can have that transmission out and on the floor in half the time it takes to get a truck transmission on the ground. Even worse if you have to drop air tanks or fairings to get the transmission out from under the truck.

6. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Still doesn't justify four grand. I've spent enough time rolling around on a shop floor to know that.

Take off a fairing, jack up one side of the frame. Ten minutes later, it's outside of the truck.

Reverse. Let's call it an hour.

There's a reason my dad hated my "12 valve timing in 40 minutes" videos. Because people started asking why it took so long. Yeah, they were too dumb to factor in book cost and shop supplies, and I expect that. But the video stands to this day. You can see it on YouTube.

Brettj3876, Tug Toy, AModelCat and 3 others Thank this.
  7. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    I may be wrong on the rear seal. I will know more this weekend when I get the oil pan cleaned up. I'm pretty sure it the front seal. But the T A. In tn said it was both and wouldn't let me go check it out. .

So I left. Dirty pan and all.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    I liked the some dude with a mullet comment lol

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    For a straight forward clutch job with new rear seal and flywheel grind I can see it being 8-12 hours labour depending on the truck.

If I had to guess (since I've never done a transmission overhaul under the gun) probably another 4-6 to tear down and rebuild the transmission.

So rough estimate of 12-18 hours to pull, rebuild, replace rear crank seal, swap clutch, grind flywheel and put it all back together I could see it hitting $4k. Just dropping the transmission and replacing the rear seal with no other work definitely shouldn't be much more than $1500 or so.

10. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    the issue is I don’t trust mechanics that can’t give me a ball park figure. If you have worked on Cascadia for 10 years you should know what the approx cost is.

11. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    That's why I force them to give me a written quote unless I've used them in the past.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.