Front differential metal shavings.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by TallJoe, Feb 23, 2021.

1. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Next time you drain try to use a gallon clear glass pickle jar. You will be able go see the metal flake glitter in the oil that way if there is any. Leave it sitting awhile and see if anything else like water seperates from it as well.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Your right, but it was from lkq. No personal connection. Not sure how, or if they f-up. But I took it home.

Looking back I wished they had cut the rails longer. But can't complain. Just serviced it today. 300k ish on them diffs now.

Dave_in_AZ and Don379 Thank this.
  4. Inderjit

Inderjit Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    I have seen metal cuttings in new diffs that were not properly cleaned at the
    factory when the truck was built. I once took a brand new front diff apart to change the ratio and found a cup full of metal shavings in it.
    Is the shard of metal you found hardened or soft? Can you bend it?
    I would recommend removing both the plugs from the diff and checking for new debris on them on a regular basis for the next few weeks and see if there is more metal on them.
    If the plugs come out without any scary debris I would say forget about the shard you found and keep on trucking.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Midwest Trucker and TallJoe Thank this.
  5. Singh94

Singh94 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2020
    I got Metal shavings at rear diff ! Never changed oil before its original oil from kw truck has 475000 miles it ! Is it safe to drive with new fluids or reshimm or replace it? See photo attached

Attached Files:

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    That's normal. Ride on.

7. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    This is very common.
    More concern should be with bigger, shrapnel - like pieces because their presence may indicate an element in the state of advanced deterioration.

BTW. I am 2000 miles after the change and nothing seems to have gotten any worse.
    I am determined to redo the oil change in that one differntial at the time of next oil change.
    Also, I was recommended to add 1 gal of Lucas to it. I am not sure about the logic behind it but I'll think about it.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
  9. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Run those fix this.
    Drive those and fix these. IMG_20210219_155322014.jpg A piece of spider gear shim is normally no big deal.
    Nothing wrong with freshening a high mileage over the road unit as others have mentioned.
    Rockwell was warranting diffs for 750, 000 miles in the 80"s. That excluded abuse and required synthetic oil. No other stuff.

jamespmack and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  10. Singh94

Singh94 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2020
    Hey guys my mechanic changed my transmission rear seal but its keep leaking after I start drving ! Its leaking out of gastket cover bore ! See attached

Attached Files:

11. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Take it back and tell him he didn't fix it properly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.