Front Discharge Cement Trucks

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by brinkj23, May 28, 2009.

1. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Yeah; one day you might be pouring thru an open window of a house in the city. Next run you might be chasing a herd of cattle thru a field.. or my favorite pouring for amish while playing how far can I bat this sucker?:biggrin_2559:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chopper103in

chopper103in Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Crossville,Tn
    i have been driving ready mix for going on 11 years, its been slow the last 2 and i hope it picks up this year

the biggest thing with driving a mixer is dont get in a hurry

try to get along with the contractors even though some seem imposible

dispatchers are liers

always leave the yard with a full tank of water

driving a mixer is the best job i have had

4. strat24

strat24 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Illinois
    Ahh yes, I forgot the important thing.

Always leave with a full tank of water.

I agree, its the best job I've had. Once you get the hang of it and feel comfortable its a piece of cake.

5. brinkj23

brinkj23 "Asphalt Cowboy"

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Yes yes yes, always leave with a full tank of water always always always. The other users have pretty much answered your questions but just wanted to reiterate the take it slow when you are coming to a stop light because if you are loaded full and its wet it will come out the front if you mash the brakes. If you are forced to mash the brakes then I suggest that you speed up the drum as you are coming into the stop it will keep the concrete in the drum and not on the $60,000 mercedes that just cut you off. Also take some time to get used to how fast the drum spins, when you are driving to the job site you want that drum spinning as slow as possible that way the mix doesn't get hot. Also when you are unloading you need to have a comfortable speed on the discharge, and not just that but when you stop the drum you gotta know there is probably gonna be about a wheelbarrow full that will come out after you stop the drum so you gotta kinda guess when you think you should stop pouring. But like no tarps said one day you might be pouring concrete through a basement window and the next you might be going to a pump all day long. No day is the same, no job site is the same. If you are going to be pulling into someones yard or going off road anywhere go walk the route you will be driving and ask the contractor where the water lines are in the ground because you could bust a water line by driving over it with a mixer. Can't think of anything else right now but if you have any questions let me know, I started out 2 years ago and got lots of help from the people on this board.

6. chopper103in

chopper103in Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Crossville,Tn
    if you have to leave the road and you have to drive over the curb, sidewalk, or even up a driveway make sure that someone signs your ticket releasing you from any damage to the property.

you dont want to have to replace a busted curb,driveway,sidewalk,trees or shrubs

7. rocknsand

rocknsand Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Tonganoxie, KS
    Oh, and watch out for all the workers using all your water to wash their tools, boots,etc. not to mention just screwin' around with the hose. Thats when you shut off the valve and tell em the rest is mine.
    The COD jobs are the worst, you just know its somebody that don't know squat about putting down concrete. More then once I've helped screed out a job.
    And happiness is pulling up to the job and see a pumper or conveyer their for the poor. The worst is hand curbs, always on the right side and with 3 chutes on, its hard to see.

8. strat24

strat24 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Illinois

Haha is there anything worse then pulling up and seeing one guy with a garden rake and a WB made for a grandma?

COD's on Saturdays can be nice. Sometimes I get tips or lunch.

9. brinkj23

brinkj23 "Asphalt Cowboy"

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    LMAO Yeah one of those wheelbarrows with a 2 inch side on it and a plastic wheel. Yeah you can get a lot of mud in there. lol That doesn't bother me on a Saturday though because Saturday is time and a half no matter what for us. So I just say take your time I get paid by the hour.

10. end of the road

end of the road Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Northern Canada
    That is my summer job and yes I do like it. Dirty as hell though.

This spring I am going to be a batcher, a little more job stability.

11. albhb3

albhb3 Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2009
    jeez I gain alot of respect for you cement truck guys. :biggrin_25514:I didnt get half of what your talking about. I remember when we put in a black concrete driveway at my parents house the concrete was setting up comming down the shoot:biggrin_25524: It was literally drying that quick.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.