Front loader/roll off combo

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by Grainboy91, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Grainboy91

Grainboy91 Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2022
    I’m scheming to build a roll off or hooklift truck with a front loader for small dumpsters. Does anyone know if these already exist or have been custom built?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I'm sure someone has made one. The question is why?
    You could only dump a couple of dumpsters before the front of the roll off is full and with no way to move the garbage back to add more.

Grumppy Thanks this.
  4. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    ......... and if you have a 30 yard roll-off can, you can only dump 30 yards of un-compacted trash. That is 15 - 2 yard cans or 4 - 8 yard cans (for example)... if you can figure out how to move it to the back of the can every dump. Then you gotta go to the land fill. Then you gotta tarp it so the trash dont fly out everywhere. With a normal front-end load truck, it will compact & you can put many yards of un-compacted trash in a 32 yard front-end loader & compact it.
    However, you could use a 10 - 12 ton (empty weight) self contained food compactor style design, but now your limiting yourself on the "weight" of trash you can pick up.

There was at one time a front-end loader built that had a removable bucket on the front where you could dump residential cans in the bucket, then dump into the back of the truck & compact it but, that was designed for a relatively small number of specialized applications. Not widely used at all.

I am also curious what you idea/intention is for such a design. Not making fun of you. Just curious.

5. Grainboy91

Grainboy91 Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2022
    I haul spent brewers grain from brewers and am looking for a way to cater to microbreweries with small front loader dumpsters. It’s fairly self leveling but Not knowing much about packer bodies, I’m concerned the liquid/grain will seep behind the packer. Is that a reasonable assumption?

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I'd be more worried about sloshing to be honest. If it moves enough to self level, it moves enough to move whwn accelerating and braking.
    That said, nothing a custom rolloff with can't handle. Borh to seal any leaking and a top to prevent slosh. Of course I could be smoking something too as I'm just guessing at your needs by your description. :)

7. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Sounds like you need a truck with an organic waste body on it, the kind that has the lift on the back. Either that, or you could try a vacuum tanker.

8. TrashisCash1992

TrashisCash1992 Bobtail Member

Nov 7, 2022
    I am going to save you some trouble and tell you that it has been done.

In the 90's, WM teamed up with Heil and FWD to create "Heil Pods". They were a smaller FEL truck for residential collection. When they were full, the container detached, and a hoist onboard moved to onto the side of the road so that a hooklift on a single axle WhiteGMC moved it onto a semi trailer with about three of these "pods". The same type of machine (hooklift) dumped them at the landfill.

They only problems I can see is that these things are at least 24 years old, and because they were commissioned by WM, they could have been scrapped already. If you have the skills to replicate the Heil Pods or make them even better, I would say go for it! I am a sucker for refuse equipment and I really would like to see what would happen since nobody has these things on the market. upload_2022-11-7_11-25-43.jpeg upload_2022-11-7_11-26-4.jpeg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.