Front main seal issues

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by aspringer, Aug 22, 2019.

1. aspringer

aspringer Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2013
    I'll try and make this short and sweet. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas!
    I noticed oil leak from front of oil pan.Took to shop replaced front main seal, shop said it was definitely main seal. Next load 180 miles out noticed same leak continued delivery to NC from Houston and back. Used approximately 1 gallon. Repair again...same scenario same trip...this time about half a gallon leaked. So recap...found leak...repaired...leak again...repaired....And now...freaking leaking again...they have repaired for free. After 1st repair they bought correct tool for job and replaced front cover gasket for good measure....any ideas
    2010 Pete isx15. 850000 miles...

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    It sounds like you've got to find a new shop. Don't go back there again because they obviously don't know what they're doing.

If they are that inexperienced that they don't know how to put it in without the tool and did not realize that they needed the tool and they still screwed it up you've got to go somewhere else.

It's hard to tell from the photo because if the front cover was leaking or if the pan is leaking it probably will look like that, but from driving it'll blow everything back.

But if the seal is leaking when you're sitting at idle and get out of the truck and look you'll see it dripping, or pouring, onto the ground, steadily.

There are multiple ways that the seal could be installed incorrectly, but the bottom line is that you've got to find another shop.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If they didn't have the install tool, what are the chances they had the proper tooling to remove it? Probably some hack job with a chisel.

Isafarmboy and tommymonza Thank this.
  5. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Going to need better pictures then that. Could easily be front structure, fuel pump gasket, cam seals, ect not necessarily the crank seal.

spsauerland and AModelCat Thank this.
  6. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    I'm not up on ixs engines all that much but I remember something bout the damper balancer is heated up and pressed on crank. I know if it isn't done right per cummins specs you will have issues.

7. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Damper is bolt on. Front gear and crank snub and heated and installed. Very rare procedure, would not have been performed in this case

8. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Ok, wasn't sure don't get into red engines that much.

pushbroom Thanks this.
  9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I'll go with gear housing gasket. Bet a $1 on it.

It's about a $4K job.

Mine leaks there too, but not as severely fortunately.

I was ready to have mine replaced, then passed a level 1 in California, so it's gonna wait.

Gear housing gasket.

Bean Jr., spsauerland and pushbroom Thank this.
  10. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    On these cummins isx the front structure was a big issue. They tend to leak some leak a little some can leak a lot. Here is the BEST thing to do instead of just throwing money away. steam clean the engine, Put oil dye in and run the engine for a little then get under there with the light and start looking. front structure is about 2-3k Depending where u go DONT take it to a dealer lots of smaller shops will do it for 2-3k.. Dealer can be easily around 4-5k...

11. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Seen many with cracked sheet metal front covers. Get it clean, run with fan off, and find the leak origin.

pushbroom Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.