Frustrated with Felony rules.....

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by balatagrande, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Mrfasttrack

Mrfasttrack Light Load Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Georgia
    Hate to say it but you might have to try some of the bottom feeders to get sometime in.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
  4. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Personally I believe in "second chances"...but not thirds, fourths, and so on.

Insurance companies carry a lot of weight in what a trucking company can consider for hiring parameters. And in this industry convictions of theft, transporting contraband, receiving or selling stolen property, and other crimes that could directly tie into the "trust factor" of the driver and the freight he/she is hauling need to be considered. Along with a shady background, it could show as someone who could be targeted and would succumb to "offers" to help in a tight financial personal situation.

Many years ago I worked as an Inmate Crew foreman...and the key thing I discovered was that every inmate on my crew was innocent...just ask them and they will tell you...now when an individual is readily disclosing the prior history, showing a prospective employer his honesty, then the future employer should also take this "change" of the individual into consideration.

5. truckerswife71

truckerswife71 Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2011
    warren, ohio

rotflmbo!!
    I love it when we get people come through the emergency room swearin up and down the don't do drugs, injested, smoked , or otherwise, and yet their tox screens come back positive! LOVE it!

as i said before. we all make mistakes and we all deserve a second chance to rectify or mess it up.

6. jokerl90

jokerl90 Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2010
    north georgia
    Just fill out the application honestly, no more no less. If it asks if you have a felony within the last 5, 10, 20 years you can answer honestly "no". If it comes up at a later date, it's the companies fault, not yours.
    If you tell them about it "up front", you could be putting them in a liability situation.
    Lawyer; Mr XYZ Trucking Representative, Did you know Mr. Truck Driver had a felony conviction for whatever?
    Mr XYZ Trucking Representative: Yes, Yes we did.

7. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    A diamond is better then a bears fan. lol

8. Bazerk Wizz Bang!

Bazerk Wizz Bang! Medium Load Member

To the Original Poster: What fellony were you convicted of? A bit about my past. I had 3 violent fellonie convictions, and one set of charges when busted out of state of juristiction with a loaded concealed firearm. I got these 3 fellonies when I was only 18. I have been in trouble with the law from the age of 14 to about the age of 28. Lot of knowledge from past experience about all this. In 2002 I got busted on the gun charge, lawer fees were close to 20k, but worth every penny. My lawer first was able to get a set of extentions on the gun charge, then got my original charges dismissed on a set of technicallites, getting those charges overturned, so I basically wasnt a convicted fellon on probation anymore, then the gun case become invalid, and I walked away with a misteameaner on the gun charge which would have locked me up in conjuntion with the time starting over on my old beef most of my adult life. The felonies still show up on background checks, but I can fight it.

On any job app. you fill out it will ask if you have been convicted of a fellony in the last "X" amount of years. You check no in this spot not yes. If in california you do not have to answere yes to that question on job apps if the fellony is more than 7 years old. If you want a job, you have to be social about it, any job. Trucking is no exception. Talk to your potential future employers on the phone or in person is better after you submit your job app. Explain to them your story, get to know them, let them get to know you. This makes a world of difference. Worst case scenario is just to lie. Your conviction is over 20 years old, when they ask explain to them, it was two decades ago and you have a clean record since and you were sure it wouldnt apply to you. This may seem underhanded, but at least you will be speaking to a decision maker/s in person. If you present yourself well and are social, taking to them in persona also makes the world of difference. Your mark of yes on the app, makes it look like you are nothing more than a rotten felon on paper. But in real life they see you for who you really are.

Get a good lawyer if you can afford it. You get what you pay for when it comes to lawyers thats an inevitable truth, been in trouble with the law most of my life, I have seen it over and over and experienced it myself. You get what you pay for. A good lawer should be able to find some microscopic loophole to get you off. Even if its insignificant technicality, the judge given the length of time since your conviction will more than likely give in just to prevent you from tying up so much of the courts already overburdened time and resources.

If you were convicted of a really heinous crime like murder, rape, child molestion, ets. none of the above will aply. I would never hire any body convicted of such crimes to work for a company if I had one, and most people will not aether. Rightfully so in my opinion.

Always put your best foot forward. If they dont ask about it, dont volunteer it. A job interview, resume, or application is a place for you to promote yourself. Volunteering such information when not asked is self destructive. When asked always answer the truth, but try to keep the conversation or conversations in a different direction. This may seem wrong, and its definatly not what was said by all the other posters, but none of them have any experience in that area, and they are just going by what they think may be the best way and what makes sense to them. In real life its a bit different, you have to get your foot in the door without two much deceptions so they can see who you are, before you can confess all your sins to them. If you dont find a way to get your foot in the door you will have a very hard time finding a door that will just magically open for you given your past.

Boardhauler Thanks this.
  9. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    for some reason they really frown on the dwi ,when going into canada--you may be able to get a waiver--but without,generally its a nogo

10. walstib

walstib Darkstar

You went from a 2nd chance to 20 chances and off on some crazy tangent, please stay consistent and on topic, it'll help with the debate...

11. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    i actually dont find lindsay all that hot--but at least she takes the heat off of paris hilton

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.