Frustrating Idle Cutoff

Discussion in 'Swift' started by madmoneymike5, Apr 17, 2012.

1. kf4omc

kf4omc Medium Load Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Clearwater, FL
    The Frieghtliner Cascadia I drive has a switch marked "OPT 3". When I park I set the brakes and push that switch. the engine will idle about 300 rpms higher and wont shutdown. Have to remember to turn that switch off when I want to drive because the accelerator peddle wont work while that switch is on. and if I idle with the switch off the engine will shut down in 5 mins

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    Well you are probably right, but since this is in the Swift section, most all of the Swift trucks can have the idle cutoff over ridden.

4. richsoucie

richsoucie Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2010
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    mine i just used to hit on and set on the cruise control and that would bump the idle up and disable the shut down. other option is to flip the engine shut down overide switch up and stick a paperclip in there to keep it up

5. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

The shutdown override switch does nothing regarding the idle cutoff.

The override is for keeping the engine from shutting down when something like low oil pressure would cause the engine to shut down. For instance, if you are fully loaded and halfway down Donner pass...

6. richsoucie

richsoucie Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2010
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    it worked on mine until i figured out the on/set cruise mine was a 2010 with the DD15 I picked up with 100 miles on it

7. crissmichaels

crissmichaels Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Works just fine on my 2014.

Thanks to OP for the help!

8. JamieB67

JamieB67 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2014

I work for Swift and have a 2014 Cascadia. All I do is watch for the engine light to start flashing right before it cuts off.. I press the accelerator and the truck will idle all night

9. jtbull1

jtbull1 Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2015
    So I am a swift driver. I have 2012 cascadia dd15. I wanna know how to keep it at a low idle(600-700 rpm) if anyone knows it would be much appreciated for the help

10. NoBluffBuff

NoBluffBuff Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    Forgot to come back to mention about the problem I had with the idle shutdown. Apparently, my truck was programmed for a company driver, before it was decided the truck would be for an O/O instead. They wiped the programming setup, but changed half the programming for idling my truck. Took it to my home terminal in Lewiston, and one of the guys fixed it with his computer in minutes. I still don't have raised-idle ability, like all cascadias before 2014.

11. 36750177

36750177 Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2014
    NoBluffBuff,

I am based out of SLC, Utah I drive a company leased 2014 Freightliner Cascadia with a 10 spd. Automatic. Date of Mfg. 10/14. I have tried every trick known to man to get this truck to idle but nothing has worked for the long term. Now I did set the trailer brake and had the tractor brake released, tricking the computer but that only lasted 2 nights before it stopped working. I read about the Temp. Sensor theory but I have not been able to locate the sensor. I have looked along the drivers side, inside of the frame where the wiring harness is all the way to the rear.and did not find a sensor. Upon further research of this forum and other forums someone said there was a front Temp. Sensor somewhere near the radiator ? I'll have to look into that but right now this POS won't idle and it seems that most of my loads are located on the east coast in the colder climates. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Note: We don't use Quailcom, instead we use the Rand McNally system, I believe it's the 760 model, 7" screen in our trucks with e-mail. The GPS map sucks and apparently is out of date as it gives two route options out of DFW, Texas to SLC, Utah cause it wants to route you through OKC instead of driving 287 all the way up to Limon, Colorado then hook a left on I-70 then choose your route from there

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.