Fuel Caps leak!

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by ReeferOhio, Feb 11, 2014.

1. ReeferOhio

ReeferOhio Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Ohio
    I know this is a common problem with Freightliner, but has anyone found a solution to the leaking fuel caps? I can't stand the leaking fuel and the look of my tanks. :biggrin_25510:

barroll Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Rubber ring seal inside cap can be bought at parts store>

4. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I was given the advice to file the very top lip. The neck will get scratchs and dents when the fuel nozzle is put in the tank. The rubber seal is to rigid to comform and fill the little grooves made by fuel nozzle. I decided not to try this because I don't want the fililngs in my fuel. I just wipe the tank everytime I fuel.

5. TwinStickPeterbilt

TwinStickPeterbilt Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Put a rubber O ring in the cap

6. 07shaker

07shaker Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Tx
    I was just thinking of asking the same question and someone beat me to it.:biggrin_25519: Mine has rubber seals and I actually changed them awhile back with only slight improvement. I wish I would have kept the old ones and put two in each cap. Dont know if that would be too thick though.

7. ReeferOhio

Nov 29, 2010
    Ohio
    It has the gaskets in them, I bought two new ones, and they still leak! I've been paying attention and notice a lot of freight liners have leaking caps. I can't stand my tanks looking like this.

8. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    If you have a groove in the neck, there is a square cut o-ring that goes in it. The problem is that the groove gets beaten up over time and wont hold a the o-ring for very long. The caps also have a flat rubber, so if you could make it flat, it seals OK. I've had some limited success filling the grove in the tank neck with JB Weld and filing it flat. It works until the cap chips away at it again. It would last a while for an O/O who is careful, but it only last a few months for our fleet drivers who slam the caps on. Just stuff a big rag in the hold 1st, so you don't get anything in the fuel.

The only other option I know of is to find a welder than can replace the necks. If anyone has a better solution, I'm all ears, I have 4 trucks with this problem.

9. ReeferOhio

Nov 29, 2010
    Ohio
    Thanks for the post! Although an old thread, I doubled up the rubber gaskets and it stopped my leaking caps. For the most part. I will defiantly check these out. Do you use them?

10. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    If you have non lockable spring loaded twist on caps there is a cheap fix that works perfect and you can get it in about any auto parts store.....

11. ReeferOhio

Nov 29, 2010
    Ohio
    and that would be...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.