Fuel card

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Rich_Trucking, May 18, 2014.

1. Sly Fox

Sly Fox Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2009
    I'm another one for NASTC. Been a member for three years now. Well worth it. $250 and the fuel card charges a fee (FleetOne). I had an OOIDA FleetOne card which was converted to NASTC, so my maintenance fee was different than others just signing up through NASTC. I have a $3,000/week limit. $3.95/mo maintenance fee I believe, and $0.50/cash advance if with fuel, or I believe $1.75 without fuel (must cheaper than an ATM for cash).

You can see the price list every day for every stop in the network (few stops only down a flat discount off the pump, but in my experience those tend to be high places anyways). And it updates every day for the price tomorrow. This is one huge time-saver. I have a friend who runs for Landstar, and his price is usually a few pennies less than me (both NASTC and Landstar fuel at TA/Petro mostly), but he has to call up each truck stop through an automated system to find out their price. Meanwhile, I can view a list of hundreds of stops and compare the price. Especially because it shows the non-state-tax price, so you can easily compare across state lines without doing the math on each stop.

You also get a few shop discounts at TA/Petro. You'll get anywhere from $30-$90/tire discount at TA/Petro, and if you ever call TA/Petro road service, you get no overtime/night/weekend/holiday charges. Only need that once. Best thing with the tire discount, is the discount is applied after they run the transaction, so you can negotiate your price, and then through on your discount on top of it. Bought ten tires last year (steers and drives), and saved $900 on top of the sweet deal Petro gave me because I was buying all ten at once.

double yellow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    NASTC. The way to go.

4. Rich_Trucking

Rich_Trucking Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Is this 250$ fee per truck or per fleet/account? We have two trucks.

THANKS

5. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    I believe it is per fleet. Shoot Erik an email: erik.lamb(at)nastc(dot)com

6. Sly Fox

Sly Fox Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2009
    It's a $250 annual membership for your carrier to be a NASTC member. You can have one truck or more, doesn't matter. The fuel card, though, would. If you're getting credit, they may not extend you as much as all your trucks will need. You may have to do pre-pay, or pay off the card mid-week to not go over your limit. I have a $3k limit, and come close to it some weeks (I run reefer, and I do usually do one $300 cash advance a week). If you have more than one truck, you'll need a higher limit, which they may or may not give you. But you can always go on the site and make a quick pay earlier in the week to bring down your balance.

7. Rich_Trucking

Rich_Trucking Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2012
    NASTC sounds GREAT, but I'm in CA and DON'T want to go to TN For the Mandated training. What would you guys recommend?

8. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    Fly to tn, take vacation and count as much as you can off on taxes. They occasionally show up to do the training at some of the truck shows. Whichever, it will more than pay for itself.

9. daytonaoh

daytonaoh Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2013
    if not NATSC, WEX, etc., then which credit, debit or fuel card to get that gives either maximum discount or most points/rewards?

10. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Is there still some class you have to attend? This thread a Little older so didn't know if it was still mandatory.

11. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    Yes there is, but it is worth it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.