Fuel card

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Rich_Trucking, May 18, 2014.

1. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Problem with fuel cards is that they aren't accepted everywhere diesel fuel is sold. Once you get away from the big chains, there is no difference in cash vs credit pricing. Show me a fuel card accepted as widely as my Visa, that I can have for the same cost as my Visa, and I might look into getting one. I just don't see the point in paying extra fees just for the discounts on overpriced fuel. Often times, there is a small truck stop across the street or on the other side of the highway selling fuel for 10-15 cents/gallon less than the big chains. Not to mention, you don't have to deal with all of the company trucks parked on the fuel island when you need to get in & out quickly.

The only way these fuel cards offer any real savings is if for some reason you choose to buy fuel at the big chains.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    What is so special about it? I'm just wondering.

4. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    My card is accepted at most mom n pop stores. Problem is they can't compete with the bigger chains discounts. With very few exceptions. However I do not have my card through the above mentioned program.

Well as I have read they have managed to increase the likelihood of an OO with his own #s making it past the first year from 10% to 60%. How true that is idk but that's their claim and to me one day to improve my success rate that much would be worth it.

5. 1johnb

1johnb Medium Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    New Paris Ohio
    I am getting ready to get the nastc card. They emailed me a weekly report for the week before last. At the locations i would fuel at I would have saved $. 35 a gallon. The discount for Ohio was $. 42 average if I recall correctly.

6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Ta/Petro already have higher prices to begin with. How much of a discount do you guys get with this card at Pilots?

7. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    It's pretty obvious you have never used the card through NASTC. While it's true that you need to stay in the network, it is widely accepted and the savings are substantial. Nothing is stopping you from using your Visa if your out of network. The fee is $250 per year and $3.75 per month. I save more than that every month so it more than pays for itself. Also at most truck stops they charge an extra $.06 or more for using a credit card. I have tried using cash and credit cards before getting fleet one throug NASTC. That $.10 -$.15 cheaper fuel is only cheaper than the cash price. And is normally .10 -.50 higher than what I pay throu NASTC. If your skeptical we could compare fuel prices. If we don't run the same areas I am sure someone on here does and would show you their receipts. Don't knock it till you try it.
    I am not one to push a product on anyone but I really save a lot with this card. But it's no skin off my teeth if you don't want to try it. It's also nice to have plenty of showers on your card so that you don't have to pay for them. And most of the good mom and pop stops have been sold to foreigners and are worse than the big chains now.

8. strollinruss

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    I've had my own numbers for 14 yrs. Just need different fuel card. I'm embarrassed to say what I've been spending on out of network fees over the last several years.

CJndaTruck Thanks this.
  9. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    I don't get any discount at Pilot, Flying J or Loves. Your discount is not related to what the sign by the road reads. It is based of the price that the fuel cost at midnight on the day you buy the fuel. I have gotten up to $.90 per gallon off of cash price at the pump. NOW that is not the typical discount but my highest. I normally get 40 to 50 cents per gallon off of cash price.
    A couple of examples, on last Tuesday I filled up at the TA in Meridian Ms. Cash price was $2.34, I paid $1.88. My driver on the same day filled up at the Cash Magic in Vinton La. Cash price was $2.28 and I paid $1.87 . That was just the last two fill ups before today. I will know today's price when I get the invoice in the morning. I know the fuel stop across the interstate from the TA in Meridian had a cash price posted at $2.28.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    DUNE-T Thanks this.
  10. nutcase

nutcase Light Load Member

May 2, 2010
    Meridian, ID
    Today @ the Petro in Corning, CA the discount was 38 cents. Saturday @ the TA west of Salt Lake City it was 57 cents. It varies a fair amount. In areas that the chains are trying beat each other up on the cash price the discount can be almost nothing. You just have to plan ahead to maximize your discount.

I have two fuel cards. With the one through the carrier I get 12 cents off @ Pilot and 8 cents @ Love's. With the NASTC card I have been averaging a good 20 cents additional discount per gallon compared to Pilot.

DUNE-T Thanks this.
  11. strollinruss

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Great info guys, thanks so much.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.