Fuel costs

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Dave124, Oct 11, 2021.

1. aaronpeterbilt3787

aaronpeterbilt3787 Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    I’m glad owning what you own works for you, much of what you said I agree with, I use to think exactly the same way.

Where you operate plays a big part in it too. If you’re in the south, then that’s cool…..keep running that older truck. It’ll last a lot longer than it will in the north where we have salt and calcium spray 5 months out of the year.

Yes your parts may be cheaper. But mine are covered with warranty. The payment? To me, and only my opinion, it’s a lot easier to budget for a set payment every month than it is, the what if’s. I watched my monthly expenditures in repairs and payments drop in half. It was a no brainer for me. And I agree with cycling a new truck every 4 years is the answer. There’s no equity to be built or maintained in owning a truck anymore. It’s just a tool of the trade now.

As a late 40’s guy with 20+ years and 4 trucks under my belt, the answer for me is not owning a pre emissions truck anymore. Would I love to have my. 379’s back? Absolutely. They’re cool, and they did make me money, at that time. But that was then and this is now. And while I may have the big pmt every month, it’s a 100% write off for me. Which lowers what I give the govt. I’d much rather spend my money on something I want to drive and be comfortable, than give it away to the govt. Just my opinion.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MSQUARED

MSQUARED Medium Load Member

Mar 28, 2021
    I might of lucked out, found a 2021 w900 on the lot, 60k miles on it. Pretty much spec how I was going to spec one I was going to order, everything but color but it's not bad so I jumped at it seeing as how news ones have had prices jacked and are 18 months out if at all. Hoping I can improve on my 5 mpg the current 389 and Caterpillar combo are giving me. Here is hoping I'm not jumping from the pot to the frying pan

4. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I run out of Nova Scotia. Lots of hills and salt.. Krown undercoat every year, regular washes. My maintenance costs are .08c a mile, and zero truck payment. I can have a new truck anyday, and there is a mack rawhide I'm currently drooling over... but this truck is a money maker, it would be crazy to do it.... maybe a new bike in the spring?
    I'm a late 50's guy, and 60 is my retirement target. The extra $2500 from no payment goes toward that. This is truck # 5 for me. 2 new, 3 used.
    Tho I do live that rawhide.... lol

Pamela1990 and aaronpeterbilt3787 Thank this.
  5. aaronpeterbilt3787

aaronpeterbilt3787 Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    I’d say a new boat……but hey, different strokes for different folks! Lol

Like I said, glad it’s working for you, everyone’s situation is different.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  6. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Live on a lake, have the boat already.. lol I never use it.. almost pulled the trigger on a new Indian Chieftain early fall but common sense took over.
    I tool last Jan and Feb off and stayed in the shop working on a few projects, not sure I'll do that this year, I do love the oxblood Rawhide Interior...

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.