Fuel delivery help

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by LeGendofSeven, May 3, 2023.

1. LeGendofSeven

LeGendofSeven Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2020
    I'm new to hauling fuel and still in training but I need some help

1.How to take hoses off compartments easy after dropping fuel?

Do you grab the ears to get it off or just grip the hose? I struggle with getting them on and off easy, it feels like the hose is stuck on the compartment and won't budge

2. when opening hose caps, do you push the ears forward and let the cap drop on the ground or physically pull the cap out? I ask this because sometimes when I try to pull the cap out it wont even though the ears are loose

3. How do you put the arms on easy at loading racks? The spring ones work quick but the manual ones seem harder to get on especially when you have to move the collar around

Any tips / advice will help. I'm trying to get into good habits now

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Judging from your above questions... you need another (better) trainer.

-- Lual

Deadhead-er, Feedman, MrJoop and 6 others Thank this.
  4. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    X2 for @lual. These are questions easily answered by a trainer. Get a new one.

Deadhead-er and Rugerfan Thank this.
  5. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Hoses and the caps will just take time, you'll get a feel for it as time goes. You'll learn in time. I've never hauled fuel only chemicals and those 3"" hoses can be a pain in the rear.

LeGendofSeven Thanks this.
  6. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Know nothing bout fuel hauling. But on the couplers stuck, maybe still pressure on the hose?

I know at times unhooking hydraulic couplers on equipment I'll have to move the valve to relieve pressure.

Deadhead-er and LeGendofSeven Thank this.
  7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Don't drop your hose ends. Ever. Even if they have a cap on them don't drop them. Make sure your hose is empty before unhooking the ears. If the hose fitting is egg shaped---from dropping it on the ground---unhooking one ear a little bit, then unhooking the other ear completely, then unhooking the first ear all the way will sometimes work.
    Hooking up a hose that's egg shaped, try the above while at the same time wiggling the hose around a little.
    Beware of leaks on egg shaped fittings. Keep a couple of old seals handy to put under the ears.
    I can't advise you on the loading arms because I don't know what kind you're using. Like the other guys said, get with your trainer. Soon.

8. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    After you've walked the hoses, grab the hose and hold it with one hand while using the other hand to open the ears. The hoses should slide on and off easily, if not the fittings may be egg-shaped from being dropped on the ground and in need of replacemnt.

Pull the plug out by hand. It should have a ring in the middle, but if the mounting tab is broke off you can grab what's left of it with a pair of pliers.

When fuel hauling, make a point of never letting anything fall to the ground. That will help prevent spills as well as preventing fittings, caps, and plugs from getting egg-shaped.

Make sure they're lined up straight before you push them onto the API head. On the ones with the manual collar it can be helpful to slide the collar forward a little bit before you push the arm onto the API head. If you do this make sure you push the collar forward with your hand. DO NOT turn the handle until the arm is connected to the API head or you'll have a spill.

9. Rum

Rum Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2019
    1.How to take hoses off compartments easy after dropping fuel?

If you clamp the hose with the ears vertically it's easier to leverage the hose up and down to release the air pressure and unclamp the ears. Aligning the hose with your legs to the compartment and pushing in with your arms may make it easier to attach the hoses.

2. You don't need to cap the hoses unless your offloading diesel. Wiggle the caps or use pliers to pull caps off.

3. Once you get the load arms lined up, leveraging the rear up and down while rotating the collar will slide on.

It could be beneficial to describe your full procedure so several experienced fuel haulers can critique your method for safety and efficiency.

LeGendofSeven and MrJoop Thank this.
  10. Graham Cracker

Graham Cracker Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2022
    Right off the bat it sounds like you may be dealing with equipment that’s been beat up.

1) I’d usually start at the compartment and open up one dog ear then the other let some air in to get that last bit out. If it doesn’t come off easily after that then you got drivers dropping them.

2) Depends on if I’m being watched, supposed to not let the cap just drop but it it’s a plastic cap it won’t bend, metal caps you can definitely damage that way;but some diesel could make a mess but after awhile you learn how to do it without any drops of diesel staining the concrete. So I’d physically pull it out at least til you get proficient and learn the tricks.

3) Some racks maintain those better then other. But there’s a definite G-spot just gotta hit it. Takes a bit of time to get muscle memory for that stuff but it’ll come.

Deadhead-er and LeGendofSeven Thank this.
  11. Graham Cracker

Graham Cracker Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2022
    On mixed loads I’d always drop the diesel first and then the gas afterwards so I wouldn’t have to cap it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.