Fuel hauler essentials?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by mud23609, Dec 24, 2017.

1. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    So I put in my notice at my current job and will be starting out with hauling fuel in two weeks. After running a night shift line haul run this is going to be a huge change. Any items I should pick up to make my day a little easier?

Being way up north I am also interested in winter wear. While I have a good heavy set of arctic lined bibs and a carhart jacket both a are bit to bulky. Got a good recommendation on a set of bibs or a jacket that will keep me comfortable both in and out of the truck that is not going to fall apart right away? I have a few sets of red wing work boots both insulated and non but if you have a suggestion on a good insulated set that works well in snow and ice I'm all ears as well.

Any other must have items to show up with on the first day so I don't look like a total fool?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PandaPancake

PandaPancake Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Hold off on buying anything. Your new company may provide you with what you need. Working with hydrocarbons means you'll be wearing fire retardant clothing and it's not cheap. With everything I'm wearing tonight, pants, boots, bib, shirts, jacket, and hat its close to a grand

slim shady Thanks this.
  4. mud23609

Mar 9, 2015
    They do provide a 500 dollar yearly allowance, which in my experience really isn't much. I've spend that much on two pairs boots in the past. I was also surprised when I asked about FR Clothing and they said it wasn't required. I still have some FR clothing from a previous job which I am sure I will put to use but starting out in January in northern MN I want to be prepared right away. It'll make it much easier to learn the job if I'm comfortable and not sweating or freezing the whole time.

I also like to have backups. So even with the allowance I want extras. Who wants to put on half wet clothing again the next day after playing in the snow all day the day before? Yearly snowfalls in the area I will be covering can be from 45 to 200+ inches thanks to lake effect snow.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  5. PandaPancake

Dec 23, 2017
    Not required? Tractor supply has their winter clothes at 20% off right now. I recommend the Arctic lined bib

6. mud23609

Mar 9, 2015
    According to them it wasn't other than a few loading racks which will provide a FR smock, I found that pretty surprising as well. Then again if 8000 gallons of gas lights off ain't much gonna save ya anyway I guess. I'll probably pony up the extra cash anyway for FR outerwear. Better safe than sorry.

7. PandaPancake

Dec 23, 2017
    I mean the only difference is that it extinguish when a flame is removed

8. lastave

lastave Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Good luck. I am in similar situation in Eastern North Dakota. Only time FR is required is in Canada which I will be daily.

9. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    I’ve always wondered about that too. I’m loading/unloading 8000 gallons of 100 octane AV gas and they want me to have on nomex!!!
    I guess it’s easier to sweep up the ashes??

10. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Any one know where (online) to get decent winter petroleum gloves....?

11. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    My company supplied them, just ask.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.