Fuel lubricity additives

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Bob Trehus, Dec 17, 2015.

1. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    so 1 qt per 50 gallons. The fuel savings wouldn't be worth it. 1 gallon is how much? If you have a newer truck u Sony wanna do this. Could mess your emission up.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    We used to use transmission fluid to clean injectors. I would pour about 1/2 quart to 1 quart in each tank when fueling. I typically don't spend the money on a lot of additives. I have tried them, but don't recall seeing any benefit.

aBadTrucker Thanks this.
  4. Bob Trehus

Bob Trehus Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Thanks for your input everyone... I've used many different additives through the years just guessing whether they actually work or not. Howes, shaeffers, power service... Lucas... these additives are huge expensive and would redline any owner trying to use a regular regimen in a truck. Oil doesn't seem to be sensible and ATF is more of a cleaner than lubricator. I like the TC-3 2 stroke program the best out of the suggestions I've read. I've not used anything in this engine since it came out of the shop in Sept. after the out of frame on a 3406C block... but I know upper cylinder lubrication is huge important along with pump lubrication for longevity of the piston life. I really miss that beautiful Ruby Red High Sulfer diesel. Hey... Thanks a lot everybody. Bob

Cottonmouth85 Thanks this.
  5. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    Your welcome, Bob. Getcha some 2stroke and you'll see a difference for sure!

6. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I have read on this forum, where the new bio fuel is the most lubricity you can get for the fuel sys? if thats the case none of the additives come close to doing what bio does & is not needed.

7. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    It isn't for fuel savings, it is to add longevity to the service life of injection system parts.

TruckerPete1990 and KAK Thank this.
  8. KAK

KAK Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Ne
    ATF and regular motor oil will burn at a certain point. Not nearly fast enough for what we are talking about. They will actually hang on the injector tip and create too much heat and screw up them up eventually. As told at the lunch counter at the Pilot ..

TruckerPete1990 and Cottonmouth85 Thank this.
  9. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    It is nice to see that others believe in the 2 cycle 'fuel additive'. BTW I use 2 oz.per gal. of fuel. Worn out '93 S60

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    If you get a million miles out of an engine and never used any fuel additives getting there - then why would it be necessary to start using additives?

11. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    don't start confusing the topic with common sense questions. :D

flat top Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.