Fun On The Road??

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by CobraDane, Aug 3, 2012.

1. CobraDane

CobraDane Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Weatherford, TX
    Hey Everyone,
    I am new to trucking and going to orientation soon. The title of my question says it all. No i am not talking about "Commercial Company"!!!! I know we are out there to do a job, but all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. So i was wondering, from experienced drivers, what are some things you have seen or done while out on the road, wether it be museums, theme parks, national monuments, neat/pretty roadside stops, even cool truckstops, etc?

Do you usually find that you have time to stop and see something you want to see?

Anything you wanted to see but just didn't have the time?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pete Moss

Pete Moss Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Phoenix,Az
    Hey-How are you?Fun is where you make it in this job.I have friends and relatives all over the place so there are times i see them for free.Baseball and football games are always fun.

Two things i've found that work very well.See where mass transit is around where you are at and where it goes.For example,from the Denver West TA to downtown is $2.25 each way plus there's a transfer station down the street.The truck is parked and you aren't trying to park where there is really no room for one.

One time in Seattle,we parked the truck in Federal Way,took a bus to the transfer station the downtown Seattle playing tourist.

Talk to the fuel desk.If you are somewhere for a day or two,they know what's going on nearby.You can make a fun time out of wherever you are at.That's up to you how you do it.Have fun and take care.Brian

4. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    When you get down on the border, there will always be a few drivers that want to get together and go into Mexico for a "good time." Strongly suggest that you resist that urge.

5. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Money is the biggest issue for me. I tend to go into cheapskate mode when I get into the truck. Had I done trucking when I was younger and single without mortgages and college bills I would have rented a car or motorcycle and seen more on my resets. If you are single without lots of living expenses you should be able to save enough to splurge on a hotel and rental car 5 or 6 times a year when you land someplace interesting.

6. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    you don;t allways need a rental car .....i;ve walked on foot and got so lost it would take me 20 dollars in a taxi to get back to my truck

7. RAGE 18

RAGE 18 Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    Yea there will be times when you can do that i like to go the outlets and buy stuff and see some beautiful females... marysville washington, barstow ca, laredo tx are some places with good parking and outlets but hey next time im in denver i will definetly hit downtown.

8. RAGE 18

RAGE 18 Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    please tell us what happened don with ur experience lol come on...

9. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Just be careful. You don't always know what the neighborhood is like a few blocks away. I usually take my GPS with me and have some place in mind when I head out.

I have had some good times walking around a small town I never would have stopped at otherwise. Sonora Texas has a nice little downtown with a small museum. They had a picture of main street in there that looked pretty much the same except it was full of horses and cowboys with guns strapped on like in the western movies. I did a 34 there and went to the rodeo the night before.

Swiss Mountain Dog Thanks this.
  10. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Acckkkk my lips are sealed and somebody musta dumped super glue on the keyboard. . . .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To the OP, I have known folks to carry fishing gear and/or golf clubs. . .:yes2557:

RAGE 18 Thanks this.
  11. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    After that trip to the donkey show, I just like to attend church functions.

:biggrin_2555:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.