Fun with trucking.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by PackRatTDI, May 26, 2016.

1. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Was dispatched Tuesday for an afternoon pickup at one of our new clients. Yakatzi, USA. Drop and hook ready at 1630 with a delivery time in Laredo at 0700 the next day. Get to the yard at 1500 and rolled out with an empty at 1545, took about 45 minutes to get there check in and rolled out of Yakatzi at 1700. Head on down the road for Laredo. After all is said and done, I roll into Laredo at around 0445 local time. Park on Killam Industrial Blvd down the street from my delivery. Log 15 min on duty noting I checked in then off duty at 0500. I go check in at 0630 and by 0800 I'm empty and I jet on over to the Pilot and go to sleep.

Dispatched on a pickup that afternoon in Laredo coming back to El Paso. Originally had a 1300 appointment but they said i could go for it as long as it was before 1800. I go on duty at 1508 local time, then roll to the pickup and was rolling towards El Paso by 1700. Get to the yard around 0245 local time. Drop the trailer, logged off duty at 0300 do my paperwork and was crashed in my bed by 0430.

Dispatched on a 4 drop load starting in Pittsburgh, PA leaving tomorrow. Will have to reset after the final drop in Syracuse, NY

And for the record, I'm on elogs. :)

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    ELogs are good as long as you can keep rolling. Its sitting at shippers and receivers and sitting in traffic jams that kills you on elogs. They need to make another line on the log to take care of that so it doesnt count against you. Could call it "idle time" or something like that? It would also give D.O.T. an easy ready reference of the shippers and receivers they need to buckle down on. Which they have that now but its the drivers paying the dues- not the shippers and receivers.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  4. PackRatTDI

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    It helps when your company has a liberal use of "PC" on elogs. I'm basically doing what I would have done on paper. It's the only way to do this run and not risk having to stay in Laredo until the NEXT day because you started your 10 hour break at 0700 and won't finish it until 1700. If you are a mega with a terminal/drop yard , not a big deal but we almost always live load in Laredo.

justa_driver Thanks this.
  5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I got thinking the other day, if there was an amendment to the rule where a driver could use say up to a half hour or 15 miles for the times you run out of time to drive a short jaunt to a truck stop that is technically not in the same town.

6. justa_driver

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    Yea you really need something, especially in cities like Miami where they only have 1 small truckstop and a guard that rides around in a pickup running you off if you park anywhere else.

Lucy in the Sky Thanks this.
  7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I think what scares me is we get put between a rock and a hard place at times and we try to do it as legal as honestly possible. There's one run I do I load at 8 pm get to the receiver at say 3 am, they have parking for trucks waiting to unload only. I get empty at 10 am and can't legally leave. They will boot you out. Right now I sneak to the truck stop which is maybe 10 miles away. It is not in the same city. How am I to proceed with the elog? I will be in violation any way you cut it. I would like to be granted the ability to go to the truck stop and start my day from that point, after I have showered, eaten, continued resting.

It would be nice if there was an open forum for drivers, company owners, dispatchers, law enforcement, and law makers, to sit down and discuss how they want me to my job so we can all get along on this. Leaving it open to interpretation causes inspectors to not know how to properly enforce the law and in the end inspectors hate drivers and drivers hate inspectors. If it turns out I can't continue doing my job as safely and legally as I am now, I am done. I will refuse to drive for any company other than my own. They can take their "driver shortage" claims and shove them up their ###.

BoostedTeg, justa_driver and Cat sdp Thank this.
  8. PackRatTDI

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    We are allowed to do that within a reasonable distance. 20 miles or so. They don't want us using PC and going 60+ miles. The only exception is if we were running out of hours in Las Cruces, NM which is about an hour from the Yard.

9. PackRatTDI

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I think 10 miles would be considered a reasonable distance, especially if you are officially unladen.

justa_driver and gokiddogo Thank this.
  10. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    You have to show up at pain in the butt shippers/receivers with as much of a fresh 14 as possible .....

Then after they take their time loading / unloading , you have the rest of the 14 to get back to the truckstop.....

Costing the driver an extra day.....gotta love it.

justa_driver and gokiddogo Thank this.
  11. justa_driver

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    Yea that would be good of course TR has a wide variety of people on it- only thing I havent seen is a politician, course they may be on here just staying quiet?LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.