Future of Glider Kits

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Caterpillar Cowboy, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    Exactly, If I thought a 2012 take out ISX would be easy to get rid of I would buy the truck and swap it. But for $8k I can fix the ISX so it looks like that's the route I'm going to have to take.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    Can't you build that c12 into a c15 or something along those lines?

Hoover has some daycab petes sitting up here.

4. DL550CAT

DL550CAT Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa
    I talked to a Kenworth "suit" in Ky at the truck show. He told me that it was not profitable for Kw to make gliders. Something about the way the assymbly line was set up it caused alot of disruptions. He also said that they had made a few gliders recently for some oilfield in Canada where they could not get ULSD.

5. Jfaulk99

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    I'm not sure what type of disruptions it would cause, especially for a company who says they'll build a "custom" truck. Well my "custom" truck needs to come without an engine.:biggrin_255:

6. Jfaulk99

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    Well my issue is I really need a longer tractor. By the time I take a truck with 700k miles, overhaul the engine and rears. Fix anything else that needs done after that many miles and stretch the frame I'm left with an old truck with a ton of money in it and I'm not buying a Pete.

Before anyone asks I need the longer WB to meet the bridge law for overweight permits.

From what I've read and talked to others it seems an ISX can be fixed and tuned to keep up with a Cat so I'm a little more optimistic about a new truck.

KW of Birmingham had one identical to this one but was orange and white instead of blue. All this one needs is to dump that crappy AG380 rear suspension for the AG460, aluminum step boxes, black frame, sleeper windows and the smart wheel and I'd be interested.

7. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    Nice looking truck, I'm sure your dad will like it....:biggrin_2559:

What do you want for the daycab? Of course you need to keep the singles and but some real wheels on it.

8. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    A lot of the "reasons" quoted can easily be understood if translated to "profit". The more junk they stuff in there, the more profit (measured in both whole dollars and percentage) they earn. It's the same as why a Cadillac Escalade is worth more to GM than a Chevrolet Tahoe... upmarket and higher-optioned vehicles put more money on the manufacturers bottom-line.

9. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck "Captain of the Ship"

Apr 7, 2007
    Woodstock, NB, Canada
    I saw earlier in this thread that Fitzgerald had Coronado gliders for $110K-ish... pretty sure I've seen ready to run Fitzgerald Coronados on truckpaper for $88K. They come with a reman 12.7 Detroit, 10 speed OD and 3.58s if I remember right. Seems to me that would get some pretty decent fuel mileage.

A friend of mine has an early Coronado with 500 horse 12.7, 13 speed and 3.58s, and he swears he gets 7mpg and up, just for comparison purposes.

Add in that Pittsburgh Power says they have 389 gliders built with built up 6NZ Cats, 18 speeds, and 2.79 rears that get 8mpg running 70 mph in 16th.

Hard to know what to believe, but if I had my choice, I would much rather run a pre-emissions motor for simplified maintenance, better driveability, and better fuel mileage. I think that's the attraction of a glider. Factory warranty with the benefits of pre-emissions tech.

10. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck "Captain of the Ship"

Apr 7, 2007
    Woodstock, NB, Canada
    Scratch that, I just looked at Fitz's current inventory and the Coronado's start at $110K. Hmm....

11. turnanburn

turnanburn Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2011
    central Vermont
    In the outrageously over regulated transportation industry, what a beautiful little consolation a glider is: I still have the freedom to choose proven technology over a work-in-progress technical UNmarvel. Maybe we should speak in whispers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.