Future of Trucking - Automation concern

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by RussianBearTruckeR, Nov 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Funny. I was thinking the same about you. I rest my case.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RussianBearTruckeR

RussianBearTruckeR Heavy Load Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, FL
  4. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    At least the article does not use the term “driverless truck”. I will give them credit for that. The article is a year old, but does describe the performance and range estimates for their electric truck. Telsa is having production volume issues for their cars.

Tesla probably won’t have a production line for their trucks for a year or two. I think electric trucks have more of a future than driverless trucks. I think Telsa is on the right track.

Tesla had to double their auto production to avoid going bankrupt, a while back.

5. CorsairFanboy

CorsairFanboy Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    I've read your 2 very valid arguments. I noticed none of ya mentioned the upcoming 5G networks and the introduction of the internet of things (IOT). They're claiming that the fast, almost instant speeds are going to allow for the fast computation power needed for Autonomous Vehicles plus countless of other things.

Just saying it's worth a mention.

PE_T Thanks this.
  6. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Doesn't matter it's still not capable of actual thought, making it a stupid idea. How much of the countryside is there still no cell phone coverage, 212 across Wyoming and Montana just off the top of my head. Ive never heard of "internet of things" what is it?

7. CorsairFanboy

CorsairFanboy Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Did you start running before you walked? Things happen slowly. It might just be sections of the country where they prioritize this development to move freight. I'm not an expert but I'm also not naive enough to dismiss it.

If we could share the conditions in this country as it currently stands to someone from the 40s you'd be laughed at and ridiculed I'm sure.

PE_T Thanks this.
  8. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    And the first company to take this autonomous crap for a walk will go bankrupt, the first time somebody is killed by a truck running autonomously is going to be a free for all on everybody who had anything to do with the building, maintenance, and daily operation of that truck.

SteveScott Thanks this.
  9. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Bingo, nailed it.

10. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    The Internet of Things refers to the connectivity of all devices, whether they be a camera doorbell, a refrigerator with a wifi or internet connection, transportation devices such as cameras, qualcom, etc.

Any device with an internet or smart phone connection is part of the IOT. But I don't really care.

11. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    Thats what i was kinda figuring it was, a good way to get your identity stolen and make all your appliances cost twice what they should.

adayrider Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.