Future thrends = Automatics?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by DoctorDemento, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Well... autos are not bad trannies. You have to keep in mind they are just manual transmissions that are being shifted by computer. They even come in 2 and traditional 3 pedal configurations. The 3 pedal means it has a clutch pedal to start off with. This is my preference in an auto. The 2 pedal varieties can be a little tricky in difficult backing situations, since they tend to take a certain RPM to engage for movement. I like to "creep" in those tight backing situations.

All "auto" trannies allow for either a computer dictated shift or you can set them to "manual" and then kick them up or down with the control to make them shift when you want. Again, that is my preference.

Overall, the autos do save some wear and tear on the drivetrain and can be somewhat more fuel efficient. The driver will make more of a difference in mpg than a tranny anyway. The tractor I own now has a 13 manual, but my next will probably have a 3 pedal Eaton 13 auto.

Hey... I have been at this for 26 years. I want to take advantage of technology and make things a little easier on myself. Learned that lesson early on.... why make yourself work any harder than you have to.

DoctorDemento, Baack and PharmPhail Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DoctorDemento

DoctorDemento Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Cary, NC
    So it does seem that there may be a change looming in the futue. It is interesting that their are varing opinions,likes and dislikes. Thanks for the feedback!

4. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    Fact is the industry as a whole IS NOT going that way. Many companies know that GOOD drivers want nothing to do with an automatic. Knowing how and when to shift gears is part of being able to drive a truck. It's part of what makes a truck driver a TRUCK DRIVER not a steering wheel holder.

When there was a driver shortage. Some of the big companies decided to go with autos as a way to bring in new drivers. The line about better fuel is a recruiting lie. It was to get new drivers in especially woman who complained about there leg hurting because they had to hold in that clutch. Now I got no problem with woman driving trucks. But just like when I was in the military. if you want to do the job. Do the WHOLE job.

I have driven Autos and I can shift faster,smoother and better. I also can get better MPG then any auto.

5. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    So you are saying that any driver that would consider or prefer an automatic shift tranny is not a good driver? True, a driver should learn on a manual, but the autos have their benefits. I can do anything with an auto that I can do with a manual. Just switch the control over to manual shift and you can control the shift up or down yourself instead of letting the computer do it. And it is a lot simpler to just click the control for the shift instead of moving a stick.

You can do better with a manual compared to an auto, if you just let the auto do its thing instead of switching the auto over to manual and putting yourself in control. This is where most drivers with an auto tranny drop the ball. If you rely on a computer that has no idea what terrain or traffic conditions are do all the decision making in shifting, then you lose. But, there is no doubt about it, an auto tranny can generally make smoother shifts than most drivers can thereby saving wear on drive train components.

I have listened to this "you just ain't a real truck driver unless..." for nearly three decades now. Using an auto is not a valid indicator of a good or bad driver. I know quite a few O/O that have been at this game for several decades that are opting to use auto shift trannies. I will be one of these in the future. 26 years without a moving violation or preventable accident....... I am not concerned that some would think I am not a "real" truck driver because I may decide to use an auto. Those arguments are so "high school".

Oh... I heard these same things in the military. When I was in a Recon unit, I was tasked one time to go evaluate a National Guard unit. I decided to take a cot to sleep on since I was going to have access to the op center tent. A corporal from another team made a comment that in was sissy to take a cot. I commented that I had payed my dues as a sergeant and I learn, especially from my dealings with a couple of special forces teams, that a smart individual learns to life as comfortably as possible in any situation. Why live any more miserable than you have to? Same is true for using an auto tranny. Why work any harder than you have to? But I guess it isn't showing your "machismo" to have anything other than a manual tranny. Good grief... grow up.

Baack, PharmPhail and notarps4me Thank this.
  6. pullingtrucker

pullingtrucker Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Auto shifts may have a place in truck for those that like them. But there are certain situations that they are not designed to handle. One example is rgn trailers. I wouldn't trust a auto to survive that punishment. Also when I was pulling machinery I would end up out in the sticks delivering to a muddy job site. I just don't see them holding up as well as a manual does in these situations. If you are running inter-city or never venture off road then the auto will be fine as long as you out think the computer.

7. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I would agree with that. Autos, just like some manuals, are not a cure all. Given the conditions that you describe, I would probably stay with a manual. But then, most individuals on this forum are in general OTR trucking. Looking back at my 10 years driving in Alaska year round, I would be very cautious about considering an auto shift. But for general trucking down here, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Just like most things. I would spec not only the tranny, but a lot of the drive train differently for a special application.

8. Hurryupandwait

Hurryupandwait Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Canada, Northern Ontario
    I don't have a problem with someone driving an automatic because they have a bad knee and can't use the clutch without pain or someone that knows how to drive a manual transmission using one, my problem is the people that have never driven a manual and are going through school driving an automatic the school isn't doing them any favours. Trucks used to have 18, 15, 13 speeds in them (I know a lot still do) but some people couldn't drive them because they were to lazy to figure out how to or would destroy the transmission so they started using 10 speeds (I'm told there's more metal in the teeth of the gears so they can take more abuse from the driver) and now they're going to automatics because some people are too lazy to learn how to drive a 10 speed. I just see it as the dumbing down of the industry.

Kabar Thanks this.
  9. junkyardhound

junkyardhound Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2009
    lost in space
    Ive driven a few autos,not really sold on them yet trying to back a 2 pedal under a tractor (piggybacked semi tractor) on a hill I had a hard time moving that 2 inches I needed maybe a three pedal it would have been easier.I still like rowing my own but to each his own,a friend had a volvo & transmission harness went out cost hin 3000 to get it fixed .

10. Shock

Shock Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Wilmington,De
    If you can't shift it you should'nt be driving it!If you are going to learn,learn the right way the first time.To me shifting is a art form a skill that every driver should master.

11. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

Well; I have driven a little bit of everything. 9's 10,13;16 speeds and a 3 different auto's. I am in a auto now and it does not make me a steering wheel holder. I do not have to prove to anyone what I can or can't do. I am not one of them that is hung up on I am a real trucker because I jam gears. I go for a decent paycheck and like to be home on weekends. At first I was not thrilled with auto's, but they are OK.

My favorite is a 13 speed. A lot of companies used to run 13's, but a lot of drivers was tearing them up and they switched to 10 speeds. I use the manual shift on mine because I get better fuel mileage than when the computer shifts. I do not know why some guys are so hung up on what other drivers do. I guess one could feed their family for them if they are so concerned about them.

Cowpie1 and PharmPhail Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.