FYI Re: tractor mudflaps...

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Pedigreed Bulldog, May 11, 2018.

1. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I have never run mudflaps on my tractor while hooked to a trailer. I have them, secured to the catwalk, and they have the reflective stripe (as required) across the top of the mudflap brackets. Over the past 12 years (10 as an O/O, 2 as a company driver for a company that likewise does not run mudflaps on their trucks), I've been inspected I don't know how many times...and never had any issues regarding the lack of mudflaps.

Word of warning: Missouri pulled me over for a random this week, and while he didn't write me up, he made a point to tell me that the regulations require the reflective strip across the mudflap brackets even if you don't have mudflaps hanging from the brackets. They aren't writing tickets...yet...unless you're that company I used to work for so many years ago. Apparently, after they started getting written warnings, the company owner (who thinks he's a real big shot) forged an exemption letter to put in all of the trucks. Now, they get cited.

I've been planning on reworking my rear cross-member...adding a 2-1/2" receiver, gooseneck ball, and redoing my light bar. Now, I think I'll make it a little more robust, and add an ICC bumper to the rear of the tractor to run the reflective tape across. Figure as long as I cover the inside duals, it'll be short enough not to interfere with trailers, but wide enough to be "legal" even when I don't have my mudflaps hung. Doodled a little while I was being loaded, and I actually like the new layout with the ICC bumper more than what I had been planning on doing. It'll be a hell of a lot stronger, too...overbuilt, which is just my style anyway.

Anyway, to recap, Missouri wants reflective tape on mudflap brackets on the back of the truck, whether you're hooked to a trailer or not, and without regard to whether you even have mudflaps. Seems rather silly to me, but I'm not the one with the badge.

NavigatorWife, x1Heavy and Tug Toy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    FMVSS 108 S5.7.1.4.3 ....For a truck tractor without mudflaps, the strips may be mounted outboard of the frame on brackets behind the rear axle or on brackets ahead of the rear axle and above the top of the tires at unladen vehicle height, or they may be mounted directly or indirectly to the back of the cab as close to the outer edges as practicable, above the top of the tires, and not more than 1525 mm above the road surface at unladen vehicle height...

4. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    We handle every type of trailer imaginable. And Bobtail 20,000 + miles per year, so taking the mudflaps on and off if not really an option. The tubular mudflap brackets that have a 45 deg drop at the ends have avoided all interference problems for me. Because we bobtail so much I have extra reflective tape back there, and the light bar( like a tow truck uses) mounted and operational when bobtail at the back of the cab.
    I am guessing that MO is enforcing it expecting you to bobtail at some time, which may or may not be the case.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  5. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    We remove the flaps lots of times. We've got a couple of drop decks that will rip a flap off in certain situations.
    All our trucks have another set of mudflap hangers in front of the tandems, we hang them there when they aren't on the back.

NavigatorWife, x1Heavy and Roberts450 Thank this.
  6. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    I acquired another set of brackets about 5 or 6 years ago to do just that...then the river came up to record-breaking levels and we evacuated "just in case" (because despite the faster-than-predicted rise in levels, they weren't upping the predicted crest, leading me to believe they were pretty sure at that point, either a levy would be topped or otherwise rendered useless). Anyway, in the move, they were misplaced...

Oh well. Less than $60 bought me a 14' piece of 3/16" x 2-1/2" square tube. Probably use 9-1/2 to 10 feet of it for what I want to do, and the rest will eventually be used on another project.

7. keitht

keitht Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2012
    USA
    [QUOTE="Pedigreed Bulldog, post: 7312680, member:

Anyway, to recap, Missouri wants reflective tape on mudflap brackets on the back of the truck, whether you're hooked to a trailer or not, and without regard to whether you even have mudflaps. Seems rather silly to me, but I'm not the one with the badge.[/QUOTE]

It's not Missouri, it's the FMCSR's that require the reflective tape. If another state inspected the vehicle and did not list it as a violation, they missed a violation.

brian991219 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  8. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    Been inspected in AR, TX, IN, IL, MS, and MO...some of them on multiple occasions over the years. This was the 1st mention of needing the reflective strip with no mudflaps while pulling a trailer. I always thought it was one of those "if you have mudflaps, then you'd better have the strips, but no mudflaps means no need because there is no place to mount the strip" situations. I guess with elogs eliminating their bread & butter "form & manner" violations, the revenuers need to come up with new and different interpretations in order to continue writing violations.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I like the idea of a ICC Bumper on the back of the tractor. It's grotesquely compliant. Wonder how much of it you can weld on there without interfering with the frames and landing gear etc.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  10. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    I'll post pics. If I get the crib refinished this weekend, probably tackle the rear crossmember over the 3-day Memorial Day weekend.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.