GA weight limit

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by againstthewind, May 11, 2018.

1. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    whats the most they would overlook on gross weight for 5 axle in the tunnel hill south bound scale?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Md420

Md420 Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Tn
    Depends on the officer

jbatmick Thanks this.
  4. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    It is a very easy detour if you like the scenic route.

againstthewind Thanks this.
  5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Call the scales and ask. It's what I've done.

MT allows 1,000 over on legal axles. Utah allows 1% over. Not sure on axles. Wyoming allows with registration. No permits needed. CO allows 86 on the secondaries.

againstthewind and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    MD will give you 1000 on an axle on a non-Interstate highway.

x1Heavy, againstthewind and snowwy Thank this.
  7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    UT has no tolerance if you’re running over 80k with permit. If you’re over what you can bridge the first thing they do is pull your permit, then write you a ticket from 80k, then make you buy back your permit.

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I beleive the thread is asking without permits. I"m sure a lot of states have no tolerance on bridge. Oregon being 1 of the worst as their bridge is lower then other states.

Utah has a 1% allowance on gross. Without permit. A guy could gross 80,800 max. And all you with tandems. Would have to put the extra 800 on the steers.

9. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    yes without permits box trailer.

10. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Georgia Department of Public Safety - MCCD Regulations Compliance

Overall Legal Dimensions
    • Width 8’ 6"
    • Height 13’ 6"
    • Length 100 ft. (including overhang)
    • Weight 80,000 lbs. gross weight
      (Any dimensions found to exceed the legal limits will require a permit.)
    By law, none. If you get the new or stingy officer, it'll be none. Over gross is something most never overlook.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Thank you Zevlander. You rule. (And to the others too. I recall the Maryland tolerance on non interstate... which is one of my small bags of tricks if the state trooper brings out portables on say Route 26 or something. (Walkersville to Pikesville road that runs roughly along I-70 that I used from time to time when somewhat heavy)

PA has opened scales in my face when I was about 1200 over gross. Ticketed too. Darn those extra pallets. I no longer run that section of US 15, I cross over at sunbury and run the east bank up 14 I think towards Williamsport I-180 It's flat there too instead of pulling US 15 at summit.

I don't want to involve VA. I have some very bad days where my Container Permit stands at 100K exactly and here I am 110K without covering for that weight amount. Or higher. I have broken VA scales in the past. Even today I mourn the stupidity that I have been to do those things. Container work is seriously heavy all the time. Even a 20 foot triple chassis axle trailer loads to 55K in the box. There is no way to scale that legally. You do need a permit for that gross weight, whatever it comes to beyond 100K. Which is why I call myself heavy. Story of my life.

What you really want to do is to go to a Cat scale or similar after loading. Check your weights when loaded to ENSURE that you ARE...

80000 pounds.

12K, 34K and 34K across your drives and trailer tandems. Steers are less important.

REMEMBER that when you are 76000 or heavier gross the preweigh strip in the entrance of all scales will put you on the platform to more closely verify that you are in fact less than 80000.

There is a so called exemption for a APU equipped truck. THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN RUN 80400 pounds gross. You must be at 80000 gross.

That means weighing your truck empty, full of fuel with you and your stuff inside. That is called a tare empty weight. Subtract from 80000 and you will have instantly a number exactly how much you can take on your trailer without breaking 80K gross.

As long your dispatcher says the load weighs total less than that amount you can generally know that you will not be overgross. But YOU WILL CAT that truck every time you LOAD near the shipper so that whatever problems come up there and then AFTER they finish loading you can go back to the shipper and solve that problem if sliding tandems does not solve it for you.

Remember you also have wheel base limits in various states. California for example restricts you to 41 foot 5 inches from your kingpin to I think the center of your rearmost trailer tandem. Do NOT quoute me on this CHECK with CALDOT for exact information for CMV.

Remember States have a CMV Enforcement agency. They are MORE THAN HAPPY to answer your QUESTIONS before you go out and commit a overwieght violations. They DO WANT TO HELP you with THIER KNOWLEDGE in that state BEFORE you go and commit a violations. In this way they are NOT YOUR ENEMY. There is NO shame in calling up a state so and so and asking questions BEFORE YOU GET THERE.

You are taught, increasing in knowledge and become evolving into a better and more professional driver about the weights problem. Eventually you show a good strong clean no violations history and even I want to hire you for it. And Im pretty picky about who to hire and Im not even a employer. When I hire a truck based tree removal company to come onto my house and lands to remove a sick tree that is about to crush my house, I choose very carefully a very good company. They go in and get that tree out safely.

I hate to make a huge post about weights. But to ask about state tolerance is to imply a desire to bypass the 80000 gross weight hard cap or the over axle 34000 for tandems etc. (10 foot flatbed spreads go as high as 40K, 20K per axle) I have no tolerance personally anymore. If I cannot get under 80K back to the shipper I go. I don't care how much they yell, I don't care if I have to get a new appt time, i don't care. Take the weight off Mr Shipper. Stop yelling and get to work quickly. You are a liability to my ability to be on time with the customer legally in weights.

It's business. Nothing personal. That's trucking. You will have difficult days. How you deal with them with knowledge and learning will show you a bright future as a professional or a dismal one as a idiot who will not be allowed to play at trucking incurring damage, losses, tickets or whatever.

I do hope that whatever your weights are, you are under 80000 and legal. Nothing to worry about at all. Excepting many roads that ban certain weights above say 73400 pounds or something like that. Or increasingly in certain states like PA that has been banning trucks from using roads I probably used often before you were born possibly.

Times change. Do your best.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.