Galaxy 98 VHP in a T680

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by davidjurss413, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You lost me on this, Batteries measured where?

OK here is a question, what harm do you think this will cause?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Like dirt in a sensor. (No thanks).

Hall-effect sensors to measure C (coulombs). Rate of discharge, and measures by computer to tailor charging. (Two different battery banks and battery types).

More specifically, what is, “A one-wire installation”? The inverter this truck installed so (40A draw).

Installation not the problem. Only “where” is question.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Ok I still don't see the issue.

The use of the eld, which is the Hall effect sensor or better put Electrical Load Detector is to maintain the electrical stability within the system on a car/pickup truck for emissions and increase or decrease fueling at idle or near idle.

However I just went through paccars 2019 vecu architecture and electrical manual - what an exciting that was - and the only eld is for the "hotel" batteries to run the smart start system if programmed.

Alan's point does not make sense with trucks where there is no real reason to measure current on the chassis bank. One reason for this the large amount of current that is pulled from the bank, up to 2000 amps can be pulled from the bank to start the truck.

5. Slowmover1

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth

Thanks RL. I’m an obsolete Field Service Manual guy.

Appreciate your using your business experience here.

I’ll stick with company guidelines about “one wire” as it’s no harder.

Head mechanic saw my last install (to jump points under hood), but with no comment. That’s less than approval. If he’d seen other routing, maybe a sort of okay.

6. Slowmover1

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Routing is the toughest part.

A 98 won’t fit the cubby unless you do some cutting. And it’s still shallow and without ventilation (I was recently in a T880).

Some remove the center visor and adapt the mount to those holes (bolts thru overhead). Measure. It’s not very wide.

Access to power in this 579 has been by going thru an unused air line hole behind brake pedal.

Otherwise I’d try to use a fishtape to run “up” a factory power lead from the BATT set to INTERIOR dash area.

Voltage drop is “the problem” (length versus max amp draw).

With a 30A max draw amplifier (300W-rated; ahead of my 99 Galaxy) I just barely get away with 6-gauge (draw is closer to 22A) for the length I settled on.

Assuming 4 or 6, I’d pop the A-pillar panels and see what is behind each. With non-optional flame-resistant split loom coverings, those leads are really cables (not just wires).

I set mine up with a 10-gauge paired set 22’ long. Fused ends one way and Anderson PowerPoles at other. 3 other disconnects besides at each end. So can add length to center. Change around. Etc. This was for trial and error. That big stuff gets expensive. (My rig sat on passenger seat).

On Coax I’ve just used fishtape or wire coat hanger to run outside wiring gland to doors. Hard part is interior access to kick panel area. (More of same split loom as above recommended; enough for all power & coax; see ANCOR ).

On these company trucks our antenna is sleeper back. Coax was run thru inverter ground hole grommet on the 2015 I just got out of as factory coax had gone bad.

Spending my time looking, and looking some more paid off best. “No drill” policy at this company. One Wire, and No Drill.

In the meantime I ran my 880 or 885 Unidens behind a 75W baby amp that both install and run off factory circuit in cubby.

Take your time.

The antenna system on a T680 needs some better antennas. 7’ Skipshooters are well liked here. TOPGUNTEC SS Mount Studs (Bobs CB).

High quality co-phase harness (also Bobs). Unless you can talk Ridegeline out of some his NASA-spec MARS SURVEYOR RG-178 Coax he likes to go on about.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  7. davidjurss413

davidjurss413 Bobtail Member

May 14, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    So I started this task this morning and have everything run to where I'm going to place the radio. It didn't come with a center sun visor, so the mount is getting drilled between those. I took a drill to the holes and widened them out for the power, and one for the coax that I recently replaced. I was having a high swr and squeal when I keyed up on another radio, so I ran a single coax to the rear of the sleeper and all is well now. Ran the 8ga power cable up behind the pedals and up the A pillar and into the top of the overhead. Everything looks good, and has fuses on both ends, just in case. I ended up placing the external speaker where the original CB tray used to sit, so I dont have a bunch of stuff hanging all over the place. Havent installed the radio itself in yet, since I forgot it at home, but it should sit up between the visors perfectly. I'll find out tomorrow when I get back to the truck with the radio. I'll get pictures, which I probably should've done while installing, but I was on a roll and wanted to at least get the hard part of wiring done.

Slowmover1 Thanks this.
  8. davidjurss413

May 14, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Here's a few pics I got of the finished install

Attached Files:

9. Slowmover1

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Looks like it turned out pretty well!!

davidjurss413 Thanks this.
  10. davidjurss413

May 14, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm one of those guys that hates wires all over the place, so I wanted to make sure it looked somewhat professional. I'm really impressed at how well it turned out.

11. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    I would say if there are so many issues with high powered radios above a Cobra 29 in these new Plastic fiberglass engineered trucks. Than maybe sticking with Fisher- Price radio is the answer. LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.