Galaxy DX 99

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Touk, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Touk

Touk Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Clarksville, TN
    My Brother just bought me this cb as my X-mas present. He said he had it tuned and peaked already. I can't wait til he gets back for his X-mas break so we can mess with it, the anticipation is killing me! He's more of a cb guy than I am, but he says he'd rather keep it for himself, so I guess that's a good sign lol

Does anybody have any thoughts/experiences with this cb?

Touk (pronounced "tewwk")

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    I've had a couple of them, wonderful radios with the antenna setup just right. Watch out though this radio will attract the thieves, I always took my nice radios out when I went home except for one time. Surely you know what happened to that 99 the one time I left it all alone in a truck for 2 days in a company drop yard, gone.

Touk Thanks this.
  4. Touk

Touk Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Clarksville, TN
    Are they really that good, or is that pretty much advice on any cb? I've never heard of Galaxy til now, always had Cobra or Uniden.

5. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    Well the power output is what attracts most then all the options, I run a cobra 29 for the last 7-8 years with not a thing done to it. I wouldn't mind another 99 if I found one cheap though, 88 model either. Guy was selling a nice 88 south of Louisville other day for 175 only remember cause I wouldn't mind having it either.

6. muleshoe

muleshoe Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2013
    You got a pretty good brother. Just make sure it has plenty of power, and enjoy. Also while your playing with it, Play around with it on LSB. Good bunch of folks on the lower sidebands.

Touk Thanks this.
  7. Big_m

Big_m Heavy Load Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Central Maryland
    SSB is very cool. But most Galaxies are great on AM. But not the best on SSB. They are known to drift very badiy.

8. Poneill.45

Poneill.45 Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Galaxy radios are awesome IMO! I have the DX44HP and love it! Congrats and enjoy!

9. muleshoe

muleshoe Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Yes, they are known to drift. But a lot of them will keep their frequency better once they're warm.

mike5511 Thanks this.
  10. killroy

killroy Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Kenner, La.
    Oh yes he did you right, if the radio was properly tuned an aligned it will be an audio monster.
    But make sure you have a good antenna an coax tuned to as close to 1.1 as possible. Galaxy's don't like hi SWR.

11. P51-D

P51-D Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2008
    My truck
    I absolutely love my 99. With that been said, Galaxy radios do tend to frequency drift. The colder it is the worse it gets.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.