Galaxy DX 99

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Touk, Dec 18, 2013.

1. cadillacdude1975

cadillacdude1975 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    i dont know if you all are aware of this, but Galaxy released the 99 again. the DX99V2.

View attachment 59833

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nero8762

nero8762 Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Newbie here. How does cold affect the radio?

4. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    When the radio is cold, and you try to use the sideband, it will be off frequency.....you can tune it on frequency but as it warms up then you'll again be off frequency. You'll have to keep adjusting the clarifier. Some do not like that.

Not all sideband radios are like this....some are very stable on SSB regardless of how hot or cold it is. But Galaxy is not one of them.

Where Galaxys shine, is on AM and for those who like looking at a pretty starlight face with a big meter.

Galaxy radios are also known for cold solder joints which can play havoc on the radio depending on how hot or cold it is and how much bouncing around the truck does.

5. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Well there is a reference crystal in the radio, when the temp of this crystal changes so does its output frequency. So when the base frequency that is multiplied by to the operating frequency, so does the operating frequency.

When Galaxay 99's transmit they generate a lot of heat, which warms the crystal which changes the frequency.

Basicly thats it.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Again to repeat my point these radios are made poorly to begin with.

The odd thing is about the frequency tolerance of the crystals in these radios is I've never heard this anywhere but in export radios. I am thinking that they are using very cheap 1000PPM tolerance crystals and not a good design to compensate for the temperature swing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.