Galaxy DX979 tips

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by HighwaySuperTramp, Apr 19, 2019.

1. HighwaySuperTramp

HighwaySuperTramp Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2015
    So I just bought my first Galaxy radio, and I got it from Jim's CB shop here in Lake station.

I'm from Canada, and we aren't allowed CB's that run more than 4 watts. I normally run a Cobra 29 peaked and tuned by Jim, but mine went missing through a personal blunder and I had to replace it.

This one seems odd to me, it was used but I got it for 149 so I'm okay with it. I have it in a used truck and I'm not sure the quality of the Coax cable, but in 2 months I'm getting a new w900 so that should fix any worries there.

Anyone got any tips running these Galaxy Radio's? Like I said they are rather new to me so any advice help. Anything I,can easily have done to them to give it a little more juice too. Nothing extreme, I don't want to have to run all different stuff. I like my wilson 2000's and my Astatic mic.

**SWR seems to jump between 1.3 and 2, I'm assuming a damaged cable somewhere.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    RM ITALY KL203 amp (eBay)

Runs off 15A circuit

I’ve had this with my 979 quite some time

Upgrade Coax and antennas to topload reaching 13’5”. (Skip shooter). Needs tuning with antenna analyzer. But use an SWR meter to get started.

Upgrade mike to RK56 or Astatic 636L. Clean DC power.

WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO CLEARSPEAKER has DSP circuitry to kill noise. That 979 is better than you think. Cheap, for performance boost.

Nights in rural areas I have to back from running Zero Squeelch and Full GAIN because too many voices all at once.

HighwaySuperTramp Thanks this.
  4. HighwaySuperTramp

Feb 8, 2015
    What do you mean by top load? That's a new term for me

5. HighwaySuperTramp

Feb 8, 2015
    Also I've been doing some reading and how do I check my dead key on my Galaxy? Apparently it matters when you're running an amplifier? This is all brand new to me. I just used to set up CB radios and antennas for off-road vehicles where I lived this is starting to get pretty technical now

Like if I wanted to run the amplifier would I have to have my radio re modified to turn down dead key? Or would be amplifier work with a peaked and tuned radio?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  6. Slowmover1

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Radio will run amp fine at 3-4W. Higher becomes problem. Don’t let anyone peak radio. And only tune if off. Box stock best bet.

“Top Load” versus Center (like Wilson 2000) or base load (coil at base). Trucks usually best off with top as no interference issues.

W900 fine with mirror arm & 2000s

108” quarter-wave whips are “ideal”. But not enough clearance. So, compromise antennas.

RG8X Coax a good bet. Routing is the problem.

7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    One problem I had with Galaxy is the with the female 239 connector on the back of the radio. Instead of having V shaped notches cut into the end they had shallow square notches and the connector on the coax end would never seat quite right. like the square notches were too shallow to make a good connection.
    rfu-521-2t.jpg
    This is one with the "V" shaped notches. Not sure if Galaxy is still using the square style. if so, maybe you can file down the "prongs" inside (probably two just inside the outer ring) to make a better fit.

8. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    The "square" notches galaxy Uses/Used? With the V notches on connector in the background.
    IMG_20180528_153828.jpg

9. HighwaySuperTramp

Feb 8, 2015
    Well I've already had my radio keeps for 25 watt oh, so what am I supposed to do now?

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    It should have a knob to vary the output power. I would dial it way down until you get time to checkout the bouncing SWR issue.

11. Slowmover1

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Without variable power, I would leave it alone. Forget the RM Italy amp for now. (A cross-needle power/SWR meter tells me (sorta) in Power Forward versus Reflected if that 25W is getting used). Okay, done there. What’s next?

1). Focus on antenna system details, Best quality Coax and Amphenol connectors? Best install?

2). and in reducing noise seen at the Receiver. Noise from coax or truck? How to reduce?

“Noise Reduction” has seen me spend money, and I’m not sorry to do so.

Big trucks are a bear. Sometimes it’s buckshot, and sometimes it’s solids.

If only in this truck 60 more days, then start gathering info on the best W900 installs you’ve seen.

All vehicles need bonding. RF not DC. Going to need a loooong roll of braided copper strap (BELLS; plus industry suppliers) and the access to tools, etc, that allow you a first class amount of work. (Take pics of locations and label for future; gotta tune up that system once in a while). This is the job none of us want to do on something we don’t own.

But the truck is one half the antenna system

Read at www.K0BG.com for best info on Mobile in one place.

Buying stuff is fun, granted. Making it work best is another thing . Your 979 can outperform the $700 Super Whack-Pack BUT it’ll come down to a PLAN and EXECUTION.

(When I say “outperform” I don’t mean 12% better. I mean YOU can HEAR & BE HEARD where the other can’t.).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.