Garmin Dezl 770 and IFTA

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by CharlieK, Apr 6, 2017.

1. CharlieK

CharlieK Medium Load Member

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    Yes, I was able to view it. I still considered it a pain in the butt, but easy enough to do... doing it exactly the way you mentioned. You would have to scroll across a page or two to read everything. That in itself is fine if during an audit, they can view files on your computer. I wasn't too sure they would. I'm told that an auditor would be fine with looking at files on the computer, although I'm not convinced. Other audits I've been through, needed all paperwork printed out.

Even if I don't NEED it printed out, I'm much more comfortable with redundancy, and feel better about it printed and filed. Even with back up systems on top of back up systems, I never trust a computer. To me, they are a necessary evil...

This Text wrap thing is precisely what I was hoping for! It makes for a very precise, legible, printed document! Thanks!

redoctober83 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    It would be nice if Garmin had a more polished system for making and printing trip reports!!

4. Kitty power

Kitty power Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2017
    YOIKS but I agree that a paper backup is mandatory one thing for sure when not if the gamin dies you are in IT. Also need to keep an eye on ANY GPS cause they don't know where they are at times and then they fake IT.
    kittypower

5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Aren't your logs sufficient enough for providing most of the information needed on a daily trip report?

As far as I have been able to tell, I document the information needed on a daily trip report right on my daily logs. In addition, it's pretty easy to make a note on your daily log that reads, "Traveled I-5 S. to 210 E to 57 S to 10 E."

Of course, you must keep records of your fuel receipts that match when you flag a fuel stop, as well as your BOL's.

However, the only other thing I do is keep a simple monthly spreadsheet that I created which shows the beginning monthly miles and a date, entrance odometer mileage into and out of a particular State.

Each State I travel in is summarized for the month under it's own heading. That same spreadsheet has a section I created for my fuel stops showing Date, State, City, Mileage, Gallons, Price & Total.

I hope I'm not missing anything ;-). So far I've filed 6 IFTA quarterlies and haven't had any issues.

DoneYourWay Thanks this.
  6. CharlieK

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    How much time do you spend filling out your trip reports and mileage in each state, in a quarter? This may be insignificant for most drivers, as you generally will have some time to kill, or want something to do, when your about to take your 10.

That is the same thing I thought the first couple of times that I used it, however, when I learned a little bit more about excel, a couple of clicks and your done. Gives you a very nice, neat, organized report. I'm not sure what would make it any easier!

7. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Well, that was my point. Since I'm logging my activities as I go, the majority of the required trip information is already there on the log.

Entering the supplemental information, i.e., entering and exited mileage in each State, fuel purchase info etc on my spreadsheet, takes me all of an extra minute or two at the end of each day.

As far as fuel receipts go, I snap a photo of the receipt, give it a file name based on date, save it as a pdf file and drop it into a monthly folder on my G Drive. Takes me all of 1 minute to do it, after which I toss the paper receipt.

I hate paper clutter ;-)

8. CharlieK

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    Sounds like you carry the computer with the spreadsheet with you...? You write down the mileage at the border, and when you stop for the day, you put it into the spreadsheet. Sounds like you have an efficient system that works for ya :)

9. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Actually, my smartphone is my computer. A couple of clicks on the homescreen and it goes right to my gmail account where every record of my business is stored and filed on the cloud, it's a beautiful thang.

All these trucker related software programs are sort of obsolete now too be honest with you. At least for a one man dog & pony show like me.

The only thing I don't do on the cloud is my QuickBooks. I hate their internet based platform. I just update my books once a week when I'm home, it's no big deal. Since I save & file electronically every receipt as I go during the week, it's a cinch to update the books.

My home State provides an online IFTA filing portal that is so easy to use for filing and paying, it's great. It only takes like 5 minutes to file and pay online per quarter. That's if the monthly totals are kept up to date.

KB3MMX and CharlieK Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.