1. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    You guys complaining about suction cups were right. I can't get mine to stick on this International. Too much curve in the windshield.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    That is one great tip. Use it all the time now. Thanks

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  4. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I stick mine on a round flat disc designed for these large suction cup mounts. I wish I could remember where I got it. I have mine stuck on the top of the dash, above the gauges and am/fm radio. Rides fine, or just super glue it.

5. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I have mine mounted right in front of me now. Jury is still out. Few more trips and I will decide. I have peoplenet or would put it in the opening behind it.

6. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    My dezl has been in my closet past 2 years. It likes to take you to rediculous way out of the way routes. One time it had my go 45 minutes out of the way when there are much shorter routes. I use google maps now

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I'm doing some research on Garmin too since I will soon have to retire my 5 year old Dezl due to some screen damage that is expanding.

But from what I can tell, one difference between the 780 and the 770, is the 770 has a built in FM traffic receiver, and the 780 does not, and requires wifi connection for traffic.

Also the 780 has wifi connectivity and the 770 does not? I personally don't want to hotspot to my phone for features such as traffic and weather/radar. I have a phone to provide that information, and do a much better job

Perhaps the 780 has a few other minor features and might be better suited to those using them as part of their eLog solution, but these are mostly features Garmin is weak on anyway based on my past experience with Garmin and POI's

So I will be looking for the 770 [if my fact-gathering is accurate]

nowright Thanks this.
  8. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky

780 can update maps and software over WiFi
    770 you gotta plug it in to a pc

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Yeah. That's the way I prefer to do it anyway since I need to backup saved poi's anyway.

I know the RMs had problems with crashes when wifi and traffic was all running full bore. And I don't trust Garmin to have a better system in that regard, either.

10. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky

I bought the 580. It takes a while to update WiFi. And the traffic is a pain in the ###. You gotta keep it connected to your phone. And one thing I hate you can’t show arrival time and miles to go. It keeps speed on it and you can customize 1 spot for miles or arrival time. Plus Garmin has been giving me some jacked up
    Routes lately. I been running smart truck route 2 on android and it’s been giving way better routes.. I’d go for the 770 for sure

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Not to mention some carriers have a distinction between hotspot data used versus non-hotspot data. If you use a lot of data via other devices (hot-spotting), you may get throttled back earlier, so no, I'm not too keen on a device hot-spotting to my phone continually

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.