Garmin ELD and Garmin 580

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Chris M., Dec 20, 2019.

1. Chris M.

Chris M. Light Load Member

May 27, 2010
    Tater State
    Ok so long story short, I own a Garmin ELD. It’s ok. I got to reading about the Garmin 580 dezl and it will track IFTA fo you and says it’s compatible with the Garmin ELD. Thought hey that’s pretty cool I could have a stand alone unit and not have to use my phone. Soo I bought a Garmin 580 and all I have been able to do is show me what my HOS are. I can’t chage status or anything. Further more the ELD has to be tied to my phone for my phone to be tied to the GPS for it all to work so that’s 2 Bluetooth connections...

So my question with the Garmin ELD can I use the 580 as the stand alone device for the eLog or do I have a paper weight? The 580 won’t even let me route the truck the direction I drive every week. My route almost doesn’t exist but the hey is on the map. Any help is appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chris M.

May 27, 2010
    Tater State
    Thought I would update this. This combo does not work like I had intended and truthfully I wouldn’t recommend any of it. The ELD itself itself is not worth and very clunky.

the GPS is ok and I am going to see how it does tracking my mileage for IFTA. That seems to work pretty well. The routing on the 580 is not great for routing on state highways. It seems to favor the interstate.

4. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    You should be able to change preferences.

Chris M. Thanks this.
  5. Chris M.

May 27, 2010
    Tater State
    Your saying change the preferences in the gps correct? If I understand what your saying I have adjusted the “size” of the vehicle to make it route better. Basically I have taken the trailer off. Just bobtail. The route I travel that the GPS doesn’t like has a length restriction but you permit for it and I think it just completely re-routes you around it.

Doealex Thanks this.
  6. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    There's a restriction not far from me on every truck GPS, and it's not restricted, but GPS units have kittens every time you run it as a truck.

Once you're through it, it routes fine, and it's for a quarter mile in a town. Right on a us hwy.

Chris M. Thanks this.
  7. Charlie Best

Charlie Best Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2019
    Iowa
    I just got my buddy to switch from Garmin to DriveELD. apparently Garmins have just stopped working recently and will no longer send logs through ERods, which is a big problem if you get pulled over. He said he's liking DriveELD a lot more already.

Doealex and Chris M. Thank this.
  8. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    anyone know how to enter long and lat. usa google maps style one. i just see the one with n and s

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.