Garmin ELD unit

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Espressolane, May 22, 2017.

1. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Looks like Garmin is jumping into the ELD market.
    Looks like they will have a unit out very soon. Claims to be compliant for Elog.
    looks like the FCC compliance is the hold up.
    Runs on phone or other bluetooth capable devices.
    Claim no subscriptions required. buy the unit, thats it.
    not bad price at $249.99

More info here. Garmin ELD

Hurst Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Bump.

Says it keeps the info on your phone (as opposed to the internet), and that certain Garmin GPS devices can be used instead of a phone, which seems like it would be more secure (NO connection to the internet that could potentially open a door for hackers). Inspections would transfer via either bluetooth with an officer's device or through a USB. Or, I suppose if you are using your phone you could email the files.

I'm leaning this way, as it's easy to install if I get to a 9th logged day in a 30 day period, and easy enough to remove again when I'm back to 8 or fewer logged days in the 30 day period...and works with my 570 GPS, instead of having to buy and activate another phone or tablet or risk handing my phone over to an officer. I'd also been looking at the One20 F-ELD, but once you factor the cost of the additional device, the Garmin works out to be cheaper...with NO additional monthly fees (so it won't cost me anything to ride around with it JUST IN CASE I exceed the allowable days to claim the exemption. I'd also considered the VDO system, but that's considerably more expensive and both the VDO and the F-ELD put the logs on the internet...and I really don't care for that. I want to control who sees what and when, keeping the data locally until I need to send it elsewhere.

Anyone running this already? Would really like some feedback if you are...hate spending money on junk, but it seems like it'll fit what I'm looking for better than anything else I've looked at.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  4. Benjamin D

Benjamin D Bobtail Member

Nov 28, 2017
    I looked at a lot of these cheaper ones, I haven't looked at the Garmin. Almost all of these companies that have the no monthly fee systems havent been out there very long and all of them run on a smartphone. The only one that isn't is the VDO RoadLog system. So that is the one I have been running for awhile (although I have not fully moved over to using it as my primary logs) It is more expensive than the others, but it is by a reliable company that has been doing this stuff for a long time. I just don't like the idea of handing over my cell phone, and I am thinking that most of these other late comers are going to go out of business after the mandate hits us.

5. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    That's why I plan to synch it up with the Garmin GPS that I already have...hand that over instead of my phone. Otherwise, I'd have to get another phone or tablet and pay a monthly fee for it to my cell carrier...so it'd still cost me per month. I'm only on my 2nd Garmin GPS (first was the 465T when they first came out)and then replaced it about a year ago with the dezl570 I'm running now...so as long as their ELD is as good and durable as their GPS, it's not a waste of money.

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    Well, Garmin canceled my order and is refunding my money...with no reason given as to why. Sent them an email for an explaination, so we'll see what (if anything) they say.

whoopNride Thanks this.
  7. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    The loves in ormond beach fl had the garmin eld on the shelf for sale yesterday.

8. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    Found one at the Road Ranger in Springfield on my way home from the Toys for Tots ride. We'll see how it works when I get around to plugging it in. I plan on staying ELD-exempt as much as possible.

9. jbob1

jbob1 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Looking at the reviews on the Google play store don't look very promising

10. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    I looked at the reviews on several different systems...and NONE of them looked very promising, but it sure beats turning the company loose for a full day tearing out my dash and punching holes in my truck to install a ridiculously complicated system that can't fit in a large milk crate...and then reversing the process ('cept they won't repair or compensate me for the damage caused to my truck) when I part ways with them.

I like the fact that it 1) stores all data locally, NOT online, which means I alone control access to it; 2) NO monthly fees...not for the service, and not for service on a device required to "make it work" without risking handing my personal cell phone over to an officer; 3) installs in about 3 seconds, and uninstalls just as quickly. Sure, initial set-up might take a few minutes, but once everything is synched up the first time, I ought to be able to plug it in on the 9th day I need to log, and unplug it when I'm back down to 8 days or fewer in 30; 4) the whole thing fits inside my closed fist, so it'll be easy to store when NOT required; and 5) works with the GPS that I already had, so I don't have to try to figure out where to mount anything else in the cab.

mhyn and dirthaller Thank this.
  11. nite vision

nite vision Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Phenix City AL
    I have a Garmin GPS 770 and it has the ELD program in it , I used it at the same time as my company set up , just to see if it is accurate . I think it's good I have not tried to email myself the logs , but I know I can do it or just blue tooth my phone to it and down load that way . I bought it as a refurbished GPS for 249.00 . I don't know if that will be OK to use as an official e log

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.