Garmin GPS Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by WadeH, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Really strange Tuesday this week. Going from Columbia SC to Greenville SC on I-26, my 780 kept saying I-26 was closed. Via CB radio, I learned it was not closed. After Greenville, I headed out to Asheville NC and the 780 once again declared that I-26 was closed. I finally turned the dang thing off and used Waze. After I got on I-40, the 780 was fine

WadeH Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WadeH

WadeH Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2019
    Does anyone know what sources Garmin is drawing from that might be causing their devices to report incorrect information?

4. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    WadeH and classic_150 Thank this.
  5. WadeH

WadeH Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2019
    I *think* what is causing this Garmin false-report problem is the "crossroads." I reviewed this section of roadway travel from my dashcam and noticed that as I drove along the highway (US Route 202 in NJ), there were signs posted at the crossroads indicating a 4-ton weight restriction for the crossroads. Somehow Garmin is picking up these weight restrictions for the crossroads and attributing that same restriction to the main highway.

I noticed this same phenomenon in NYC when I was northbound on I95, after crossing the GW bridge, my Garmin falsely reports red-light cameras. The Garmin must be picking up the camera from the intersection on the bridge above I95 and then falsely reporting it to me as being on my lane of travel.

Does anyone here know how Garmin manages to grab the good information from a crossroad and then falsely attribute it to the road being traveled?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  6. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    I guess it's difficult for a bird looking down from above to ascertain which level you're on. Not sure I can blame them for that

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.