1. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    What he said, too!....:thumbup:

I can vouch for his comments--the Garmin is very good at putting you in the correct lane--at the correct time(s).

Indeed--the Garmin does make it easy.

Otherwise--think of the "Goofy Garmin" like you would a spouse.

He/she is basically a good package, overall--but he/she indeed has his/her "quirks".

Learn to work with (or around) said quirks--to get where you need to go, and the two of you will then make a great "team".

--Lual

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TooTiredToTalk

TooTiredToTalk Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2022
    I am broke currently LOL so I use google maps. Obviously I don't know truck restricted routes, but interstates are usually fine from what I know. Low clearance bridges though are great from the Rand McNally Motor Carrier Atlas. I like using the satellite view though on google maps. Yesterday when my trainer was driving to the first place to deliver, I planned it out and wrote out all the roads to take and which way to turn, etc and seen if I was correct with the way he went and I was :D I like being able to do that because it helps me teach myself without just using a GPS solely or just watching where he goes. I know this isn't much help, but this is what I do right now. I have a good friend of mine who frequently uses Hammer though like some of these guys had mentioned. Be careful with any GPS as stated from others on here....not a single one will ever be 100% accurate. He used google maps when we were back East and turned down a road and I asked if he had seen the sign which he did "No vehicle over 5 TONS" but there was nowhere to turn around. It took us back to the main road, it was only a short distance BUT the point is we were on a road we weren't supposed to be on. We were dang near grossing 80K. Not good! Not saying do something like this BUT it isn't the worst that could've happened. No bridges taken out ;) Just saying crap happens to even the best of us, but do your due diligence on planning the best you can and always improve and learn from your mistakes :D

4. jet460

jet460 Heavy Load Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Modesto, Ca
    I bought a Garmin RV GPS. I hate it beyond words. The Rand McNally stuff is so far beyond Garmin it's laughable.
    I should have spent the extra $ and got another TDN, like I used when trucking.
    Those units are the best of the best. Especially for ease of use, and accuracy.
    The Garmin tells me next to nothing.
    No current city.
    No clock.
    No lane selection, or very hard to understand lane selection.
    Hard to navigate the menu.
    I despise that thing.
    Get the RM.

5. Brucesmith

Brucesmith Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Jet460. Which Garmin do you have? The RV760 or dzl770 does show lanes an where to be The rand McNally inits suck.

6. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    Thats my favorite feature of Garmin. I like to get in the correct lane as soon as possible.

7. Brucesmith

Brucesmith Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Unfortunately Garmon discontinued the 770. The new OTR series use a different map supplier. They do not have up ahead feature
    You can leave that active and it shows you how far to a truck stop. My biggest complaint is if you search for a rest area ,truck stop,etc. Garmin shows the ones up ahead as well as those behind. Who in their right mind would turn around and go 30 miles BACK to a truck stop.

8. Bozwik

Bozwik Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2022
    Mars, USA
    I don't know if they still exist, but if you can get a GPS that you can tell it what routes you want to take using the real map.

9. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    When RM makes the best road atlas and have an electronic device with those maps included
    I don't understand why people get cheap knockoffs?
    Garmin is really good on Air and Marine applications.
    On road? Nothing to brag about.

10. classic_150

classic_150 Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2009
    South Dakota
    RM used to have great gps. I had the 720 and the 730. They quit supporting them and went to the tablet style.
    I have Garmin's now. They are solid on routing, but could have truck stops on the maps like RM.

If you are looking for truck stops on your route, press the where to button. On the next screen at the top left will be the city you are in. If you press that, a drop down menu appears. The first one on the list is My Active Route. Select that and then truck locations and what ever you choose to look for, it will show you what is on your route.

11. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    Annoying thing about Garmin OTR 800 is when clicking on your next turns exits, it shows the map in various angles not North facing up etc. It has a setting for north facing up at all times, but the route preview isn't.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.