Garmin Vs Rand McNally

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Flgtrisk, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Yeah, I guess it helps I’m only 11’2” tall usually too.
    When in town I just look at the roads that have commercial buildings on them and plan on using those roads.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    OK I know I'm going to get slammed for this but I use a real Rand Mc Nally maps made of paper. Like the motor carrier edition, I have one in every vehicle I own. I do not care for GPS as I have seen and read about too many horror stories about the place where they send a truck. Yes I know common sense plays a part in using one but I'll just stick to the paper maps.

black_dog106 and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  4. TruckingStraight

TruckingStraight Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2020
    I have a RM now for almost 2 years. At this point, it overheats, or freezes up during cloudy conditions, or re-routes me down non-existence side roads, or wants me to go down farm roads. Common sense plays a huge part in the GPS. So i think my next purchase will be a Garmin. I hate the charging system and all the other problems i have going forward in using it nowadays. It gets the job done, but it's a love hate relationship. I feel like an abused Ex. Hell at times, i had to just go back to using Google Maps to give me a sense of location. I would just use the Atlas, but some of the Interchanges and Spurs and difficult to navigate without a GPS IMO. Maybe i'm just dumb, idk. Anyway, yep- next purchase is a Garmin.

5. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Google Maps Satellite View, RM Atlas, Pen, Paper

black_dog106 Thanks this.
  6. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Hammer, offered here by ttr. It is a good addition. Will give you info others won’t. I have several. Garmin is my king.

classic_150 Thanks this.
  7. Triumph mc.

Triumph mc. Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2018
    #### guess I'll keep the ole dinosaur rm 720,9 yrs still plugging along,garmin freezing up turning off,new rand mcnally seem to to have same problems,both manufacturers seem to be putting out sub quality products for a ridicules price
    Guess I'll get a pokemon's gps from china instead

8. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    Lots easier to figure out where you are......where you want to go......write it down on paper......follow YOUR OWN DIRECTIONS......and get where you want to be the most efficient way each and every time. GPS is a great tool........just rarely the best route to follow in most situations.

black_dog106 and Triumph mc. Thank this.
  9. Triumph mc.

Triumph mc. Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Yep only thing that they're handy at is once u leave ta big road in cty. Then gotta have common sense they still will get n deep #hit

Dockbumper Thanks this.
  10. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    I use mine as a "heads up" reminder for fuel stops, breaks, ETA, etc. I wouldn't be without it.......just don't rely on it for exact directions. When I follow my route........ 95% of the time it catches up with me. Actually, Google maps is usually much closer to the "proper" route than my Garmin Dezl. I could give you countless examples of routing that Garmin gives me that would eventually get me to my destination...... just in some of the most screwed up convoluted ways. Your brain and your eyes beat an algorithm every time.

Triumph mc. Thanks this.
  11. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I am starting to use Trucker Path along with my Garmin. Is working out good. Trucker Path is really good at final destination.
    Today.... I didn’t have trucker path set to hazmat. Garmin on hazmat. I followed most direct route through town following the signs HC. You shoulda heard them both complaining to me. Then I got on a route that had an express lane toll. They both wanted me to take the toll lane. I told them both off!
    Seriously... I’ll look at paper maps when I need to. But geesh! They looks like a snake pit with all the roads anymore.

Triumph mc. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.