Gas can?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BIGLEFTYINTX, Mar 22, 2019.

1. BIGLEFTYINTX

BIGLEFTYINTX Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2017
    I'm always having to fill reefer fuel for our transfer runs and hate having to stop and fuel .

Can I bungee cord a gas can to catwalk with fuel in it or is it against the law ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I would not.

If you are running a 50 gallon reefer tank or even a 100 gallon to the trailer that's almost a week on cycle.

In order not to confuse the people it's Diesel Jerrycan, not Gas Can. Two different fuels.

Now I offer you this thought. Fueling a reefer is part of trucking, takes but a minute when you pull in to fuel up. Why are you complaining all of a sudden about something most of us hauling reefers do not think twice about doing.

Your general statement "Hate having to stop and fuel" you need to find a way to resolve that problem in your mind before the stress eats your body up and turns you into a meanie unwilling to do anything related to trucking at all.

Im sorry I am not holding your hand or otherwise patting you on the head and say there there now, you are right life is so horrible fueling these things you should contemplate suicide. //sarcastic.

I can think of way worse issues than fueling. If fueling is the most horrible part of your day then you are either running for a Russian Chicago Volvo who is in the process of horsewhipping you into a pussyified version of the American Long Haul Trucker. Our you and the industry do not suit each other for whichever reason, being lazy perhaps? SO one of you will have to stop. Since trucking wont stop then that will be YOU that goes home until the new Georgeous world saving electrics come along.

4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Why not top off reefer every time you fuel? Less to worry about with a full tank.

lovesthedrive and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    no you can not legally do that, it has to be secured using a DOT safety can.

rabbiporkchop and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  6. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Fueling a reefer at a truck stop makes the work to unsecure, move and then pour fuel from a gas can just seem rather silly...

Bean Jr. and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  7. BIGLEFTYINTX

BIGLEFTYINTX Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2017
    With our transfer loads , when I pick up the trailer it probably has less the 3/4 tank, when I drop off at other location, it must be over3/4 . It's only frustrating when truck doesn't need fuel and I have to stop just for that . Was just looking for a way to save some time, that's all

8. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Most reffers would be a royal pain to fuel with a can because the fill neck is tucked up under the trailer to far.

Yes you can, would you like plastic or metal??? B4E33710-CA5F-4883-939A-1B7A209EEF20.png 9FCE48F8-D22A-45C7-8D75-D5B158389281.png

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    neither of those cans are legal when it is mounted to a truck, maybe in a tool box but not on the cat walk.

Here is the one he needs -
    [​IMG]
    This is a DOT legal can and passes NY regulations.

I know about this when my driver put a five gallon plastic can on the back of the sleeper, and he got nailed for it coming out of NYC, the fine wasn't a lot but the bs was.

I would tell my driver to fill it up at a T/S if he has a requirement to keep it above 3/4, it isn't a big deal.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  10. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Some places are a pain, when I found out I could, I did it live, then no worry about topping off the reefer tank, especially when the last time i topped off to do a drop and hook, they had loaded the trailer with a tire off the rim for me.

With ELD, you're going to have to log it anyway, pick a place you can get it and go, not quitting time or starting out time at a busy truck stop.

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    My last company had some old reefers that had bad seals and small tanks. I used to hate to be under one with a -10 load. Those things would use about a gallon and a half every hour. I could not get 24 hours out of a tank. Another problem that reduced run time was about a third of that tank was unusable because of trash and crap that would clog up the reefer fuel filters. I was sometime stopping 2 times a day to fill the reefer. This is just the bane of pulling a reefer. I would never recommend keeping fuel. Just stop and fill the reefer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.