Gator's Prime Experience

Discussion in 'Prime' started by gatorbaiter, Jul 18, 2011.

1. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

That's called a drop 'n hoooooooooooooooooooooook. :biggrin_25523:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Shipping and recieving days are opportunites to get a jump on things using a split break. Just make sure you're getting some sleep instead of screwing around in a truckstop, etc...

Mudrunner and da1 Thank this.
  4. emton

emton Medium Load Member

May 18, 2009
    Hobart, IN
    I was very well prepared by U2 for going solo. He was always mentioning how he would be doing things as a solo operator. Helped also that I got the trainer at Prime best acquainted with e-logs as he was one of the guinea pigs. It really did help as I was in that mindset from day one on my own.

5. da1

da1 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2011
    SC
    GB I agree with you after being solo for a week...wooo.....I wish we spent more time on time management for solos but I'm adjusting and learning daily

6. DragonTamerBrat

DragonTamerBrat Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Yeah, that would be helpful. Just sayin'! Trainers, please take note! U2 being the obvious exception, LOL!:biggrin_25522:

da1 Thanks this.
  7. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

It's just like learning to fly. At some point, a student pilot becomes the sole occupant of the aircraft and must make all the decisions to make it fly. Hopefully, the student listened to what the instructor was saying in the lessons up to that point, and just as hopefully, the instructor imparted enough knowledge to make for a successful first solo flight.

The reason I will never change my "Trucker?" status from 'Student' is the process of learning does not stop until a serious medical affliction or death. da1 and all new truckers have begun the journey as the sole occupant of their "####pit" because their "instructors" found them qualified to be the the "sole manipulator of the controls," to use FAA lingo.

From this point on, every day will bring a new lesson. Some, the new driver will wish his instructor had told him about. And some she will just have to learn the hard way--exposure.

Do well, new solo truckers.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  8. DragonTamerBrat

DragonTamerBrat Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2011
    We learn new things almost every trip. Yesterday, JCW freaked himself out on the timing of getting the load to the 90. He DID make it w/ 15 minutes to spare, but that included a run over the GW bridge from where he had to take his break. It was 243 miles and a fuel stop from his break location to the 90, and he only had 6 hours to get it done. He made it, but he stressed himself out, not trusting in Cubbie and himself.

He learned not to stress out so much, and to trust in himself. I learned not to have a day of the pukies when he's stressing, so I can talk him through it (speakerphone.)

9. gatorbaiter

gatorbaiter Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2011
    3rd Rock
    Ya. I stay out of TS stores AMAP. If not careful it is too easy to spend money. In three weeks that fridge has paid for itself. Last sunday I ate breakfast in a TS first meal not from the truck in two weeks. The biggest savings for me is the drinks. 63 cents a bottle at walmart vs 1.59 at a TS its about 4 bucks a day for me. Plus I have dropped about 5 pounds this week eating my food like yogurt and fruit. Lazagne on menu tonight.

DenaliDad Thanks this.
  10. gatorbaiter

gatorbaiter Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2011
    3rd Rock
    oops not paid for itself yet but getting close.

11. OpenRoadDreamer

OpenRoadDreamer Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Alabama
    And to think of all the times DA1 laughed at me while I was attempting to figure out how I would make it lol n I've never laughed at him once lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.