Gator's Prime Experience

Discussion in 'Prime' started by gatorbaiter, Jul 18, 2011.

1. DragonTamerBrat

DragonTamerBrat Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2011
    You stay w/ the truck or Prime puts you in a hotel if that isn't possible. Unless your trainer is a lease/op, then it's on him to get you a hotel. Hubby had 2 occasions where the truck was down for a week. Once in Detroit, and once in OKC. Detroit, oh well, kinda far. The OKC sucked because it's 2 hours from here, and well, we were dead broke and I couldn't get down there to even see him.

If you leave the truck to go home, you are no longer available for dispatch and therefore your guarantee is not there, and you will get paid .12/mile for the pay period. (Or whatever the cpm is now). And if it straddles cut-off, 2 weeks will be paid at straight miles not guarantee. Just something for you to think about.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gatorbaiter

gatorbaiter Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2011
    3rd Rock
    first I am lease op. I live in FL so while I want time with the family it costs me a ton. so I will often ask for a load through the house meaning I need to get into "the house of the holy one" (read FLorida) and he understands that when I get that load I will get there ASAP and let my clock mandate how long my expensive truck sits. it could be for 10 hrs it might be 34. It will not be longer as if that was my intention I would have given my FM a 10 day notice as he requires. On my board and as it is my understanding all boards is that if I "pass through the house" and then say make it home time it will not be granted. if I decide we need a 34 then I will say exactly this. " I can put you at a truck stop closest to my house where there is showers a tv room and a denny's (the flyin j at 285 on i75 in FL) or I can get us a shower on the way to my home then park at walmart where there is 20 resturants and a theater within 1 mile or if you would rather I can get you a hotel at exit 301 where you will have a bed a shower and cable.." they all sleep at wal mart.

now real world.

when I was PSD pawpawbigtruck (ppbt) saw we had time while passing his house. he offered me the couch at his home or stay at the TS with his shower card my choice. I stayed on the truck i believe I posted about this. ppbt needed to have his nephew on his truck after I passed psd and was with him for TNT. he worked to get me with someone he trained so there would be consistency.

the new trainer had to go "through the house for a 34" he pushed me to take the hotel at his expense because of the surroundings (pandet for thoose that know) but i was more comfortable in the truck but it was my choice.

today my psd and i are on a load to fl that was not asked for. it delivers thursday 1300. we will be at my house wed 1800. so there is time to see wife and kids. I offered the TS or walmart as we will not be there long enough to mandate a hotel as we are under load that delivers 22 hours from when we stop. PSD choose the WM so that is the plan.

my 3rd trainee was on my truck headed to fl but no stop at home was planned. in el paso tx I learned that my sister had died. I called my FM at home at 2am and told him the situation and that I would need a week but I would deliver the load. by 7 am I was informed that after delivering my load in north fl to head to ST. Pete where another trainer would meet me 11 miles from my mother's home and bring my trainee to spring mo to test out. the plan was flawless and prime took care of me even though I did not bring him to springmo and they took care of the other driver that brought him in for me. The TNT guy I had is still running his solo truck and says it was the way Prime handled our situtaion.

My take from my PSD TNT and trainer experience is communication of expectations is key.

The real answer is if you do not agree with your lead seat's expectations call your FM. It will be handled and not count against you in the company's eyes unless you are unreasonable in your expectations.

silenteagle and jomar68 Thank this.
  4. GlobalResponder

GlobalResponder Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Gator. In discussion with my trainer, he asked me where I was going to stay while he stopped into his home and I mentioned that I heard trainees before just staying in the truck parked in the trainers driveway and he said that was illegal. I didn't want to push it, so conversation went another direction.

5. rcd127

rcd127 Medium Load Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Madison, AL
    Why is that illegal? I did that exact thing with my trainer once.

6. awbro

awbro Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Could be a city ordinance thing. It's not illegal on the federal/state level. Depending which suburb of Phoenix, they could have pretty strict ordinances. Heck - he might not even be allowed on his street with his bobtail.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

7. GlobalResponder

Apr 13, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well as I figured, it had nothing to do with some city Ordinance. My Trainer explained to me that it was illegal from Prime's perspective. He advised me he was told by Prime that students are to never to stay on the truck while on home time. They are to either be invited into their home or a Hotel room is to be taken out. Of course he mentioned nothing about it being at his cost, so we'll have to see how that is handled when it comes up.

8. Chucktaylor

Chucktaylor Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    it totally comes out of his pocket. Now I'm not sure if he gets reimbursed as a LO Instructor. Company Driver instructors do get reimbursed.

There is no mechanism for you to get reimbursed, you are not an employee, there is no paycheck. If he says you have to pay, tell him you need to speak to the fleet manager about this or simply call your FM.

DO NOT pay for any room, talk to your Fleet Manager.

if this instructor starts telling you it's your expense and discourages you from calling the FM, then if be suspicious of this guys methods and motives as an instructor.

you are not the one choosing to interrupt your instruction for this guy to take hometime, you should not have to accept the expenditure to accommodate your instructor.

123456 Thanks this.
  9. GlobalResponder

Apr 13, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Chuck, I'll keep that in mind. Have a glance over at my travel log...there's some notes you might find interesting I just made.

10. gatorbaiter

gatorbaiter Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2011
    3rd Rock
    Instructors are not supposed to take a student if they are planning hometime. But when low on instructors they will usually give exveption. If this is the case the sleeping arrangements are discussed ahead of time.

Ymmv.

11. GlobalResponder

Apr 13, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    We briefly discussed it yesterday on the road. He welcomed me to stay at his home for 3 days or he said he would discuss with his FM about how I would stay in a Hotel. I haven't decided which way I will go. My Instructors behavior is a little annoying as I'm getting tired of being preached to 18 hours a day, so my initial thought is to not stay at his residence but take up a Hotel. I'm also recognizing that part of the tension I'm feeling is just the fact that I'm with someone 24/7 who I normally wouldn't even hang out with part time as a friend. So, I'm trying to keep things in perspective in that regards.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.